Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want some thoughts here if possible please. My mate has a Gateway PC, manufactured in 2000, and running Win98.

He has been having problems with the old "Cannot find operating system" message, but then it will fix itself if left switched off and switched on again, though which time you switched it on again and it worked was random. Every time I looked at it, it would fire up straight off (typical!!). Was going to completely rebuild it for him in case it was a bad sector but now it's died completely.

I've tried reinstalling Win98 and a new install of Win 2000, but when it gets to actually starting Win setup it says no disk attached. I've seen this problem so many times through (presumably) boot sector problems and thought this to be the case, and a little persistence and playing with installation disks will usually get Windows to fix it eventually.

However, this time even BIOS Setup will not recognise it. As the PC is relatively new, and the 10Gb drive came with it, I'm kind of presuming that the BIOS would support the large disk. (maybe a bit idealistic I know!!!)

There are no signs of component burn on the disk, and no life from it either (whirring, buzzing, conversation, etc). Have swapped cables, power and data.

I'm an experienced user and repairer, but am a little inexperienced in this area. Is this my first experience of Disk Death in anyone's opinion? It was, unfortunately impractical to get the disk home with me to try on my PC, but don't want to send him shopping for no good reason.

Incidentally, during the times his PC was working, being an above average knowledge user, he ran all the Win98 diagnostics, but no problems were found.

Thanks to anyone who can offer a second opinion. :confused:

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Download the disk manufacturer's diagnostic and run a complete diagnostic on the disk. If it was manufactured in 2000, you might get lucky and have a disk that's still in warranty, hurry! :D

I just had an 80gig die that had about 2 months left in the warranty, I was happy it decided to go now, and not later in the year. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem found

Sorted it out. It would not work on my PC so we brought a new hard drive, which still wouldn't work on his. Puzzled for hours.

Then it hit me like a sledgehammer, the IDE controller had packed up on the master IDE. Found out by swapping it over with the CD drives on the secondary. Doh!

For some reason the controller had packed up and taken the drive with it (or vice cersa), or it was an amazing coincidence..

As they say, start with the basics then work up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.