Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOTE: This is for my other computer

Compaq Presario SR2011WM

RAM: 1GB DDR2 (Took out the RAM and put it into my current computer)

CPU: Intel Celeron D 3.20GHz

Video/Grapgics: ATI Radeon 200

After It shows the Compaq Screen, I get a black screen with a white flashing underscore at the top left end of the monitor. This is happening BEFORE it starts up Windows Xp(in context, its not starting the OS). What could be causing this? My first assumption was, that my AMOS battery is too old; yet they last 10 years.

Any suggestions are thanked upon!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
last time I checked, all settings were normal; devices were set to boot in the order I put them in to boot. I don't start up my system on my network, as such a stupid move that would be for a home computer. Like I said, the only piece of hardware I've removed is the RAM(for now).

Wouldn't My system make a beeping sound if that were happening?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Starting a computer on the network? Although I didn't suggest that for a second, it isn't as stupid as you think, you can do some nice fancy features with that, but that's a talk for another time.

The system wouldn't necessary beep or make any sort of sound in this type of case. The fact it isn't highlights the possible cause, but you say the boot order is fine.

Next.

How many times have you tried restarting the system? It may eventually boot to desktop (say, 5-10 times), this obviously doesn't fix the problem.

As you say the computer is old, has it been sitting around for 6 months or more not being used or even powered up? (Probably no).

Was anything changed before this problem started occurring? New hardware or software maybe?

If the above were also a no, then you wouldn't happen to have a Windows XP repair CD around, would you?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Come to think of it, I was having security problems at the time this occoured; but those problems were resolved before this problem. I had to system restore 1 month back. Maybe the damage was already done. Like a virus time bomb ready to explode. Is it possible for a program to be written to stop you're system from starting up after a system restore?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.