Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my OCZ 2GB in the mail today and need the UPC to mail the rebate in, but I don't think I can get to it without taking the RAM out, and I heard that if RAM touches ANYTHING it will be freid, and I definatly don't want that. I won't be able to get the rest of the comp parts till after xmas so putting the comp together now doesn't do any good, and the rebate will expire by the 25!

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
You can remove the ram from its package long enough to get what you need then put it back, just don't let the ram lay around outside of the package and use anti static precautions when touching it

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
When you handle computer parts you need to be static free or I should say your cloths need to be, don't work on a carpet floor, tile or wood is best.

Touch the metal part of your computer case before touching your ram, there are also anti static wrist bands avalible and matts but these would be more for when you start to build.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so I will be alright for the RAM to lay in the partially opened lil plastic container they came in for about 4 weeks? Maybe I should just suck it up and purchase the last 2 items, cause I don't think they will go down in price anytime soon

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Yes. Just don't touch it on the main parts such as the chips, and to be safe, keep touching the metal part of your PSU- better keep a hand on it at all times. When you handle the RAM, hold it by the outer top most corners, just enough to have hold of it. Lens cleaning cloth is also static-free BTW.

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
FWIW you could just get a cheap anti stat wrist band for $8 at the nearest computer store or radioshack which will then clip onto any metal object with an alligator clip and keep you grounded. Most important is that you not touch the gold pins on the edge of the memory, between static damage, the oils on your fingers will also potentially give issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.