Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using the media player built in TV app for many years now to access the same external hard drive which would show all files without any issues until 2 days ago when I went into it and around 80 percent of the files no longer show. I checked the hard drive on computer and through a secondary option (That for some reason is only available on my downstairs TV?) and all the files still show and work like normal, I then unplugged the hard drive and wifi a few times to see if it would reset everything and noticed occasionally the file count would increase by 10 or so only on some resets but then go back down on other resets. For the life of me I can’t figure out what would be causing this issue as all the files are clearly sitting on the drive like normal but just not showing on the one TV access point I normally use, The one workaround would be to use the secondary access point which I have no problem with using however that for some reason only shows up on my downstairs TV and I use my upstairs TV the most so makes it difficult so I guess there’s 2 fixes here if anyone knows.

1. Find some way for all the files to show up like normal again on the main hard drive access point on TV

2. Somehow make that secondary hard drive access point show on the upstairs TV media player

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,850 Posts
Move the files from the HDD to another drive temporarily. Put the drive on your computer and press the Windows key+X and choose Disk Management. In the lower pane Right click the external drive and choose Format. Format the drive FAT32 (the format that most TV's support) move your files back to the drive. The only Caveat is with the FAT32 File format you cannot move any files that are larger then 4GB to the drive. See how that goes.
The other option is the Share all the files on the drive. If your TV's are connected to the internet via your Router on your home network you then can Browse your network for the device that has the drive on it either your downstairs TV or your computer and access the files that way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Move the files from the HDD to another drive temporarily. Put the drive on your computer and press the Windows key+X and choose Disk Management. In the lower pane Right click the external drive and choose Format. Format the drive FAT32 (the format that most TV's support) move your files back to the drive. The only Caveat is with the FAT32 File format you cannot move any files that are larger then 4GB to the drive. See how that goes.
The other option is the Share all the files on the drive. If your TV's are connected to the internet via your Router on your home network you then can Browse your network for the device that has the drive on it either your downstairs TV or your computer and access the files that way.
I don’t think it could be a format issue as I can literally play all the files on the TV still by just using that secondary option, I’m just not sure how to access that same secondary option on the upstairs TV but if I could I’m confident they would play there as well like they normally have. As for sharing, where would I be sharing the files to? I can ignore the issue for now if there’s some workaround in accessing the files another way upstairs, maybe through VLC but would have to check if that works

·
Global Moderator
43,850 Posts
When you Share files or Folders, you are not Moving them, they stay on the USB HDD, you are just allowing other devices to see the shared content over the network. Scroll down in this link to How to Share partitions or External Drives on your Network

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah I know, I’m just wondering where I would be sharing them to as I have the one main external hard drive that I access? I have the VLC app installed on my Tv that can’t currently access half my files so is there a way I can quickly add them there somehow or another way? Never really used VLC that much

·
Global Moderator
43,850 Posts
Again, you are not Sharing to somewhere, they are just shared on the drive they are on.
In VLC, go to the Toolbar to Media/Open File or Open Folder, browse it to the drive with the files on it. Or on a Windows computer Press the Windows key+R. In the Run Box type \\Device Name. (the device name that the HDD is on) it will show you the drive with the Shared Files on it. On your TV's menu, you should have a setting to Browse Media, same thing.

Please read the Link in Post #4, it explains how to share files and folders.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Again, you are not Sharing to somewhere, they are just shared on the drive they are on.
In VLC, go to the Toolbar to Media/Open File or Open Folder, browse it to the drive with the files on it. Or on a Windows computer Press the Windows key+R. In the Run Box type \\Device Name. (the device name that the HDD is on) it will show you the drive with the Shared Files on it. On your TV's menu, you should have a setting to Browse Media, same thing.

Yes I have the setting on TV and VLC to view the media but that’s not the issue, the issue is that those access points no longer show anything past 2016 that was added, I even added a new file today and it does not appear despite being able to see and open it on my computers plus the downstairs tv with that different network access point, almost as if files added from 2017-2022 have been hidden from showing up there?

·
Global Moderator
43,850 Posts
Weird, your last posting where you attached pictures of your media servers on both TV's and my response got deleted?

What is the Make and Model # of the TV in question?
If only one TV has the problems viewing the files, then it is not a problem with the drive, Windows or your other TV. It is just the TV in Question that has the issue.
Do a Google Search for the TV Make and Model # with the words Community Forum. And Post your question to that forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Weird, your last posting where you attached pictures of your media servers on both TV's and my response got deleted?

What is the Make and Model # of the TV in question?
If only one TV has the problems viewing the files, then it is not a problem with the drive, Windows or your other TV. It is just the TV in Question that has the issue.
Do a Google Search for the TV Make and Model # with the words Community Forum. And Post your question to that forum.
Hey it’s all good, got home from work today and they were all magically back on there.. Absolutely no files missing and back to normal again? Very strange but a relief to see. The only thing I can think that maybe fixed it was changing the service that the files open with back to the standard one on computer, they randomly started opening with media player when it normally opened with the regular movie and tv player so not sure how that got changed but will keep an eye on it and hope they stay opening with the default I set. If that wasn’t the fix though then I guess it’s just a stroke of luck 🤷🏻‍♂️ Thanks for trying to help me though! Appreciate it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts