Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to play Half-life2 for a long time them my hard drive crashed and I was forced to get a new one. Since I've had the new hard drive I can get to the intro and the part in the train station then the game crashes. I’ve done all the steps that you suggested and the game still does not work. I also have Episode one and it does the same thing.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Welcome to TSF.

If your hard drive crashed, you will need to reinstall every aspect of the game - Half-Life 2, HL 2 Episode 1, Steam. Then reinstall from the start.

Double-check the "Common Game Issues" link in my signature, because you missed Step 9 - so you may have missed other steps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Half-Life 2 Crash

Yes, I've done all that I have reinstalled the game as well as steam and I still have the same problem.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
3,450 Posts
Could you please describe the manner of the crash, does it do it in game or will the game not even load up? Any information on the crash may help, also, please post your system specs, it may come in handy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Half-life 2 Crash

Yes, it is a legit copy of steam HL2 and Episode one.
The Both games load up fine and I can play the first minute or two of the game then it gives me an error message and the game shuts down. It is not always in the same spot either; sometimes I will play of one minute sometimes as much as three.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Half-life 2 Crash

I have a Pentium 4 (3.7)
1 GB of ram
G4 6400 (128mb) video card
250GB (7200) of memory

·
Registered
279 Posts
ok we need the exact error message try taking a picture of it or pressing printscreen and copying and pasting it to paint then posting it at http://www.imageshack.com Then we can see what error it is. is it an unexpected error, a runtime c++ error, etc.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yeah i had the exact same problem you need to update your drivers make sure you reinstalled all the software the manufacturer gave you in the box your GFX card came with if you still have problems after you install the new drivers try some of the older ones other than that try reformatting and starting the process again

·
Registered
14 Posts
1) First of all update your video drivers.

2) Now Goto your steam\steamapps\your-user-name\ and delete the half-life 2 & half-life 2 episode one folders, don't worry because you don't need to re-install the game these are just your personal user files so nothing will be re-downloaded.

3) Try running the game again

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Half-life 2 Crash

Okay so I did that and I got a directX error so now I'm reinstalling that driver.
For episod one I get no error message the game just locks up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In your steam folder, if you installed steam to it's default location it's either:

C:\program files\steam\steamapps\
or
C:\program files\valve\steam\steamapps\

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Half- Life 2 Crash

Okay here is the error message:
Failed to Lock index buffer in CMeshDX8 :: lock index buffer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try right clicking the game in steam and going to properties and then click "Set Launch Options" and type in -dxlevel70
See if you still get the same crash...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.