Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Half-Life

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Bairdman 
#1 ·
Win95 is not liking half-life 1.1.1.0 very much.

I've always had little problems with half-life, like skipping/frame rate problems. But I didn't have any out and out hl crashes until I upgraded to hl 1.1.1.0. This problem actually started with hl 1.1.0.9.

Whenever I launch hl and then select a new game, the game starts to load and then it crashes--in all three video modes. I've tried almost everything. Any takers out there tonight?:confused:

#4 ·
You guys don't understand. When my wife and I first got half-life, we used it on our Win95 computer and it ran beautifully. Now, for some reason, it runs like s**t (or at least the patch makes it that way).

We had Win98 and the program ran well there too. The only problem there was that the motherboard on the Win98 computer got fried and we ended up paying a fair amount of money to Geeks on Call for a Win00 machine (and man is it something!)

On Win00, half-life runs well but let's say you're in the midlle of a game. You hit the escape button to get to the main menu. The entire screen goes blank.

I can't figure it out and I'm tired of trying. Apparently, some games run well on Win00 and others don't and still others don't run at all. Take Hitman 2, for example. That can't run on Win00. Neither can Thief or Thief Gold.

We had the opportunity to get Win98 installed instead of Win00. We opted for Win00 figuring it was best to stay up to date with the current technology. I think that was a bit of a mistake.

FYI, we have 4 fully functional computers in our place of abode. A PowerMac G3 (which I am currently using right now), a Win95 computer (to which I go when I get bored with my Mac [which isn't often] or when I feel like "messing" with it, and old Macintosh LCII and the Win00 computer which my wife and I use.

#6 ·
W00 is better represented W2K or windows 2000

"we ended up paying a fair amount of money to Geeks on Call for a Win00 machine"

W2K is a business OS and is not intended for games....doent like them very much...what is a fair amount of money....with machines selling for $599 if you paid more that $1000 you got ripped off...yes systems do run up to $5000 in todays market but it is going to have some VERY highend hardware...including enough memory and a video card to do 3D designs on...If this is a business enviorment...yes W2K is good but even then the specs should allow you to go to XP pro...even better...if it is a home enviorment then XP pro is still recommended...it is that good...if the machine can handel half life....and if you can find a copy...go to ATLEAST W98...half life spec require it....I belive...troubleshooting Half life on a win 95 machine is like wondering why your horse and buggy wont move after you gave the horse enough unleaded gas....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.