Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all :smile:

I am looking to purchase a Serial ATA-150/80GB/7200RPM drive for my sons pc I am building him. I have always trusted WD and Maxtor but would like your opinion on which manufacturer is better.
Also I saw Tiger Direct has a Maxtor and WD for the same price of $69.99.
Anyone have a good site they purchase their hardware from that they could recommend?

Thanks in advance

·
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I have been leaning towards Maxtor myself :tongue:

Is it on sale at Tiger or Newegg ?

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
My personal experience with Maxtor is mixed. WD has constantly met my needs. The WD SATA drive I bought is fast and very quiet.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
ebackhus said:
My personal experience with Maxtor is mixed. WD has constantly met my needs. The WD SATA drive I bought is fast and very quiet.

my experience with maxtor has always been bad, ans my experience with western digital has been mixed.

i've seen dozens of maxtors fail, and a few WD's.

right now, i have a 40 gig maxtor that constantly clicks, (hasn't failed yet, been clicking like mad for a year and a half) and a western digital 40 gig that is working fine, and is quiet, and a few seagate 8 gigs that are perfect, (although very very loud, like an old MFM drive) even though they are 6 years old.

i like seagate the best, then WD, then ibm, then quantam, then maxtor last.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

I like that deal that Johnwill noted.

Personally, I like the Maxtor and they are quick and quiet. I just purchased two more Maxtor SATA 80 gig drives from ZipZoomFly. That company is much like NewEgg, but usually a little cheaper and in my opinion quicker shipping (2nd day while newegg uses express saver) for most items. Anyhow, a bare drive is only like 60 (give or take three or four) bucks from those companies.

If you can buy the one John notes as a retail drive for that price, you better buy it before the sale goes off. That is a steal.

·
15,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your replies :sayyes:

Im also looking for a good video card. I know this is not the forum but you guys seem to be on the ball with great prices :grin:
I will only use nvidia, preferably 256mb, I think nvidia works good with the AMD processor.

Whats your thoughts on these 4 cards

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?MfrId=1281&Nav=|c:933|&Sort=0&Recs=10

Also this is the power supply Im getting does it have the 4-pin molex connector required for the higherend video cards? I know the board does not have a connector for this.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1028624&sku=ULT31590

Thanks for all your help

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
I would not reccomend the modular psu....the modular connections offer too much resistance and a a potental source of interference, not to mention its 400W with only 16A on the 12V rails. I would reccomend a psu of at least 450W, better yet 500W+with a minimum of 18A+ on the 12Vrails....because it is the 12V rails that will power your CPU, Videocard etc. Look at PC Power & Cooling if you want stability....if its too pricey, Antec True Power II 550, Enermax or Fortron, Sparkle PSU's will all do okay. The higher end Vid-cards will need (2) 4 pin molex connectors ! (I know my Asus 6800GT does) And I can reccomend the Asus V9999GT or V9999Ultra, (both come in 256 versions) I've been very happy with my own....but you need to have a psu that can handle it. If you have a mobo with a PCI-E slot, there is a sale going on at Tiger on 7800's !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.