Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oh like MAH GAWD! So, upon bootup (the first few seconds of it only), something is making like a grinding type of noise. I am assuming it is the harddrive, but I could be wrong (don't know what else it could be!!).

I have this Packard Hell thing going on and I just don't know...can I just toss any harddrive in there from like Circuit City or something or does this hunk of wreck need something specific?

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Unplug your CDROM drive and see if the grinding has disappeared. I've got a really old "Creative" CDROM in a machine at work that grinds just like you suggested.

-clintfan

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
sounds to me like a bad CPU fan

they get old, (about as old as yours) and they get all kinds of chattery.

a new fan is like 12 bucks, but, make sure its the fan.

i always stop the thing with my finger, and if it shuts up, its bad.

careful though, your fan may be able to cut a finger.

most cant.

~BoB~

·
Registered
376 Posts
To pinpoint the location of the noise, use this old mechanic's trick:

Grab a piece of hose or flexible tubing that's around an inch or two wide and a foot or two long. Hold one end up to your ear while the case is open and the system is running. Move the other end of the tubing inside the case, moving it closer to where the noise is louder. This will tell you the exact spot that the noise is originating from.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know what is really weird now?? Shortly after I did this post, my PC just stopped. BAM! Just totally just powered down. I could NOT turn it back on. I opened the thing up and something smelled hot. The power supply was hot to the touch, as well. Even after waiting 10 minutes or so, the thing would not turn on. Now, this morning, I was able to boot up....LACKING the grinding noise....and I watched the power supply. The fan is not going at all. :( SOOOO....NOWWW...this thread is turning into the question of CAN I PUT JUST ANY POWER SUPPLY IN THIS PACKARD BELL SYNERA?!?!?!!? EEK!

Thanks for the help! :)

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
It depends on the specific model of PB, some had oddball P/S sizes, some had standard models.

It is possible to replace the fan in most power supplies, though it's not a job for an amateur.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used to do tech support, if you can believe that, but it was on IBM's...so really...I know more about those than my own hunk of junk! I've never done a fan itself in the power supply. Now...in the IBM's, they had a fan in the front that I have had to replace...those could be a pain because everything had to come apart.

Where would I get a fan for a Packard Bell? Are THOSE standard for power supplies?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Most of the fans in power supplies are standard sized 80mm fans, though I've seen a couple oddballs with 60mm fans in them. Measure the fan, but my guess it's a standard size.

I normally just hack the leads to the fan off well off the PCB and solder the new ones on, no reason to remove the PCB from the P/S, just the top cover.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
yup, it sounded like a dying fan to me.

i was wrong about which one though, so shoot me.

~BoB~

the fan inside a power supply is pretty simple to replace, if you have ever opened a vcr and untangled a tape, then you have done a harder task.

just make sure its unplugged.

and make sure you get a working fan

lets see, after your case is open, there should be 4 screws to get the supply out of the case, 4 screws to get the supply open, and 4 screws holding the fan into the supply.

red-red
black-black
(yellow-yellow) might not have the yellow wire, but who knows.

after that, its all simple

~BoB~

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
yes, dont run it without a fan.
the power supply will overheat and possibly take the mainboard of hard disk or worse out with them.

replace the fan, and that should solve the problem

nothing lasts forever though, so i wouldnt be surprised that a fan is dead.

~BoB~

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've had great success with Antec fans, in case you're wondering where to find a good fan. Double ball bearing fans tend to run the best, and there are cool light-up fans as well. I mention this company because they also make excellent power supplies should you decide to simply replace the entire PSU.

Antec Website

They aren't paying me or anything - I simply love their products.
:tongue2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.