Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I was at a friends house when he asked me to take a look at his computer. After about 15 minutes of use, the screen turns green and a loud noise starts. I'm assuming that it is a hardware error, most likely video card or hard drive, but i wasn't sure why noise would be emitted if it was a video card error. I was able to format the hard drive without any issues and the problem still continues.

The system doesn't give any error messages before or after doing this and when trying to repair the system either with windows 7 disk or startup repair, no error report can be found (or the green screen happens before I can get any results). I have also tried using an MRI disk from best buy, but that doesn't even get through the diagnostic before the green screen occurs. I also thought that the lcd on the computer was defective so I tried to leave the computer running with the screen off and the issue still happened.

Has anyone dealt with this problem before so I i don't have to waste too much time working on something if it is out of my skill level. I am pretty stumped on this one.

·
Registered
229 Posts
well the sound emiting could be because it crashed, a graphics problem could cause the pc to crash even if its not a BSOD. does the computer have any on baord graphics, or is there a different card you can try?
Does not sound like a HDD issue to me

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It is using an on board video card with the Intel HD graphics. i'm trying to gather the complete specs for the computer to help with further deciphering the problem. From what i can remember it is a Dell Inspiron'
-17.3 inch screen
-i3 processor (Not sure which specific i3 it is though)
-integrated intel HD video card

Also, I believe the laptop is just over a year old.

I would hope that the video card wouldn't be fried in under a years time, especially considering that this hasn't been used aside from schoolwork and basic internet use

·
Registered
229 Posts
try this

Start>Right Click "Computer" and select device manager> Look for display Adapter> Click the plus next to that> right click on the device that shows up> click on update drivers or someting like that and let it find drivers automaticly online and it should update them, see if that fixes something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nah theres no dump files there. And any advice helps. lol.

I've pretty much established that its the video card. It seems to crash whenever he goes on sites using java to load their programs. Unfortunately I don't see a way to fix this short of purchasing a new motherboard w/ integrated graphics card

·
Premium Member
41,819 Posts
you can buy a PCIe or AGP video card (whatever graphics port he has) But first I would go to Start/Run and type eventvwr.msc and hit enter. In the Event Viewer open up System and Application Separately and see if there is any Red X"s double click them and it will tell you what program or hardware caused the crash.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you sure that I would be able to fit a video card into this. It is a laptop and I have been told in the past that if it had an integrated motherboard that I wouldn't be able to add a video card to it.

I haven't checked the event viewer yet but I will definetly do that before I go any further.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.