20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pc configuration is:

amd athlon 64 3000+(am2)
asus m2npv-mx motherboard
seagate 120gb sata hard disk
sony AW-G170A dvd writer
2gb ram(512 x 4) ddr2 667mhz.
Can any one please tell what is the approximate power consumption by each component( if I am leaving any component please suggest with power consumption) ?

Regarding graphics card:

Now I am totally relying on integrated nvidia 6150(128 mb shared with ram) graphics card for playing games. I am not a serious gamer but I play at max 1024 x 768 res.
I am thinking to buy xfx 8500gt 256 mb(~Rs/-3000 or 70$).
Is it a worth buying, how much performance increase I can get with this for playing games( is it 50% or 100% or more).
Is there any better buy at this price ?
Please don't suggest me a card for higher price because I can't .

What is the minimum fps required for playing games?
If it is 50 ,what is the advantage if the game is running at 100 or above?.........

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
Most computers , even high end machines , only use 300 to 400 watts when there is no graphics card installed. Most people here can just look at your specs an guess it. Your system with its current specs most likely just uses about 250/300watts since there is not gpu in it.

Now as for a graphics card , the 8500 is still a low end card. Try to find at least an 8600 and that will get you some better frame rates. Try to find one with ddr3 if you can , but ddr2 will be ok.

As for frame rates , in fps games you want to achieve 30fps or higher. And in driving games you will want 25fps or higher. Any thing higher is better. Personally , I don't think there is really any advantage gain after 60fps in most games. At least none that would effect the playability.

Could you please post back with the make model and wattage of your psu? It will definitely help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My psu is odyssey 400watts, the reason I am asking this is that I have read at many places many 400watt psu actually deliver 250 watt, If I am getting a 8500gt/8600gt do I need a new psu, I don't know what is the actual power output of my psu.Is there a way to know this?
Another thing many people tell that the integrated graphics card uses system cpu, is it true ? Then why it is called a graphics card ? 6150 is a slightly stripped down version of 6200 which is dedicated 350mhz ram on board. Can you please tell me integrated 6150 utilizing the ram at 667 or 350 ?
Regarding fps can you please tell if it is lower than 25 fps then wheather the game will be slower or it will not run?
Do you know what is cpu overhead, I have heard sharing ram with gpu comes with cpu overhead.
Thank you very much for your kind reply.

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
Wow I googled that psu and got almost nothing , got a lot of fog machines. That psu would be ok for a low end card like the 8400. But might struggle with an 8500 or 8600.

Another thing many people tell that the integrated graphics card uses system cpu, is it true ? Then why it is called a graphics card ? 6150 is a slightly stripped down version of 6200 which is dedicated 350mhz ram on board. Can you please tell me integrated 6150 utilizing the ram at 667 or 350 ?
Your thinking to hard. The 6150 has its own very low power gpu right on the motherboard. It shares your system ram. And doesn't really matter what speed the ram is running at because its just basic graphics.

Regarding fps can you please tell if it is lower than 25 fps then whether the game will be slower or it will not run?
Fps stands for frames per second. Which means the speed at which the card plays back your game on the screen. When you buy a graphics card , your fps will be better then your regular onboard graphics because its a more powerful card dedicated to running the game faster. Faster cards will play back at faster frame rates. And games can run at even 1 fps but you will only see 1 frame of video on the screen every second. 25fps is the lowest you could go for it to not look choppy.

Do you know what is cpu overhead, I have heard sharing ram with gpu comes with cpu overhead.
I don't know but once you get the video card your onboard will be disabled so it wont matter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.