Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a graphics card for my computer and would basically like to here any suggestions from you guys. My motherboard has an AGP slot and I was hoping to get a card that supports Dx 9.0 (it is going to be used MAINLY for games, but also for some CAD applications). My price limit is £150 (looking for £100 give or take). I like the look of the new Radeon 9800, but I would like to hear the opinions of some of the more experienced users here. I'd especially like to know what I should be looking for in Tech specs to make sure that it will be compatible with my motherboard (see this link: http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/columbia.htm ). I'd rather avoid getting a new motherboard, but all opinions are welcome.

Cheers,

Ad

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
ATI or GeForce

They are both solid cards .... I'm running a Radeon 9000 64MB right now and it is brilliant ... No problems at all ...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well i dont know much about the radeon cards but i do know that geforce 4TI cards are actually built mainly for gaming. I dont know the prices of them now but when i got mine about 8 months ago it was only £110 so i would suspect you could get one for well under £100.

·
hey
10,189 Posts
I have an older Radeon, but I love it. When I do play games, the graphics look great. I do admit though, from the gammers stand point it seems most go with geforce, or atleast from what I've seen. But I will still stick with my ATI.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Does your AGP slot support AGP Pro? What motherboard do you have?

I really like my GeForce4 Ti a lot! I use the newest detonator drivers, which has improved performance noticably, and I use the hidden nVidia unlock to enable overclocking and AGP settings built into the drivers.

If you'd like a Radeon, I highly recommend the 9500! It has very good performance, while not costing so much money. It's actually better than the 9600! If your motherboard has the AGP Pro option, take advantage of it by grabbing the Radeon 9500 Pro. If you don't have AGP Pro, the Radeon 9500 AGP 8x should do nicely.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
techy question

What is the relevance of the 1x,2x,4x,8x? Could there be compatibility conflicts if my motherboard doesn't support any of these speeds? My motherboard is accessible in a link in my first post. Just did some price checks and it looks a lot of money to spend to find out my comp can't handle it :).

Thanks for your help so far.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It's not telling me what kind of AGP slot it has, and I can't see the physical slot too clearly. Looks like a 1.5v AGP slot. Stay away from any card marked as "Pro" and you'll be fine.

The Radeon 9500SE should work well, while staying in your budget. A GeForce4 Ti series would work well, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.