Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have worked at this for a while, and nothing has worked. I have asked a few other people, and none of them were able to figure out my problem, either.

Here's the deal. When I play Drakan and Age of Empires 3 demo, things go fine for a few minutes. Then all the sudden, everything stops. Then the screen goes blank for a few seconds. Then when the screen comes back, it looks like this:

I have reinstalled the video card drivers about 4 times with 3 different types of drivers (Omega, Catalyst 5.8, and classic 5.2). I ran dxdiag but didn't see anything problematic. The computer seems to run pretty cool. The problem persists even when I shut down my antivirus and all other non-necessary processes. I tried reinstalling Directx 9.0c. Nothing I have is overclocked. And as far as I know my computer has never been in extreme heat too long or been jolted too badly.

I would like to add that I played Knights of the Old Republic 2 at 1024x768 with all the settings at or near max with none of the problems I am seeing in Drakan or Age of Empires 3 demo.

I am running Windows XP on a 3000+ AMD Semptron with 1 gig of pc2100 DDR, and ATI Radeon 9600 XT 256mb DDR.

If you can help me, I would be just about eternally grateful. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
twajetmech said:
Looks like a classic case of overheating !
But mostly on older, less graphics-intensive games, on low settings and in 2-5 minutes and less on newer, more graphics-intensive games on near max settings being played most of the day?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to add that it is having similar looking problems with Doom 3 and Painkiller now. They just don't pause or go black.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
twajetmech said:
take the side of the case off and point a fan onto the computer....run the games that give the most problems and see if you still get the artifacts...if you don't then it is heat
After opening up my case and blasting the insides with my huge 30 inch fan set to maximum for 5 minutes before playing Doom 3, I got this happening after about 1 minute of play.

I said I was pretty sure it wasn't overheating...

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Well that settles that...out of curiosity...why are you running pc2100 memory, maybe your bottlenecked or your agp apeture is incorrectly set...set it to no more than half your total memory, is your agp voltage too low....you can up it a notch in your bios ( to 1.6 say) and if your mobo and/or videocard has a secondary connector ( 4 pin square for mobo, extra molex connector for video card) are they connected. What voltage is your memory at 2.6V ? if it is try uping it to 2.75

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
twajetmech said:
Well that settles that...out of curiosity...why are you running pc2100 memory, maybe your bottlenecked or your agp apeture is incorrectly set...set it to no more than half your total memory, is your agp voltage too low....you can up it a notch in your bios ( to 1.6 say) and if your mobo and/or videocard has a secondary connector ( 4 pin square for mobo, extra molex connector for video card) are they connected. What voltage is your memory at 2.6V ? if it is try uping it to 2.75
I have no idea how to do any of what you just said.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.