Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I need some advice here. I am experiencing some issues with my system and I believe it is directly from my video (though you can never know...)
I have a dual boot (Win98se & WinXP Pro) and I am experiencing a strange graphic effect in both OS's. It seems like horizontal lines going up & down the screen. Really annoying. The most annoying part however is that there is no actual scenrio for this strange effect. It comes and goes as it pleases.
My system consists:

Asus P4C800 Deluxe with 1010 Bios
Corsair 2 X 256MB ddr 3200
Radeon ( by Ati) 9500 Pro with 3.5 Catalyst
Sound Max sound device with latest drivers.
Pine modem 56Kbps
Maxtor 80 GB 133ATA

I have noticed that this glitch occurs on both Win98 and XP. I really have no :no: clue what can be causing this. I tried moving the PC away from the power outlet but still it did not help, also I checked that it is not a refresh rate problem since those waves appear right from the boot up of the computer.
If anyone has an idea it will be greatly appreciated.
Maybe a Bios setting done wrong I have no idea already...

Thanks in advance,
LIOR

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ahh the joys of a dying monitor... or at least thats what it sounds like to me. Have you tried using a different monitor with this computer? I had nearly the same problem, but mine got progressivly worse until the entire screen was green and all I could see was the very top of windows (the title bar)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dying monitor

Well, anything can be true, but it is unlikely since this monitor is brand new. I am really getting hopeless here.
Any other ideas please?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just because something is brand new, doesn't mean it's problem free. It's not tried and true. You should try hooking up another monitor, or hooking that monitor up to another computer and see if it has the same problem. Most computer guru's have a set of hardware, or even a spare computer, which is composed of completly working hardware, specifically for testing components percieved to be not working. But, if you want to be stubborn and say "It has to work... it's brand new!" then go ahead, but anyone who knows anything will most likely say the same thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Absolutely correct

Yes, I know that new does not promise problem free, but still it is unlikely... I dont know man, I kinda getting desperate here. I will try what you suggested and see what the results are.

Thanks all the same.:winkgrin:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Could be your video card's memory overheating, or just having garbage in it... usually this is fixed by a cold boot...

when this problem comes up the best solution is to turn off the computer, let it sit for a few minutes... and restart...

-Hyde

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replaced the card

... with a brand new 9500 Pro. The same problem exactly. Amazing... I think it is a problem in this specific batch of cards. Have no other explanation for this since this card was checked on another system to show the same crappy results.
Anyway, I am replacing it with a Powercolor 9700.
The hell with this 9500 p....

Thanks for all your help.:angel:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.