Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
So last night my I was playing World of Warcraft and my computer starts spitting out a bunch of jagged graphical artifacts flashing all over the screen. They'd start out slowly with a few at first and then increase in the amount and rate of flashing. Eventually the screen would freeze for about 10 seconds, then it would come back with the artifacts then freeze again and so on. I've tested this in multiple games and it occurs in all of them. I've tried installing the latest drivers for my video card. I've opened up my computer's case and cleaned the dust off the video card and it still occurs. I have a fan sitting almost right up against the card even though it has a built in fan on it and it doesn't seem to be as bad, although this was after i did a system restore but I have no idea why that would help, maybe it was just enough time for the fan to cool the card. I guess what I'm curious about is do you think this would be an error attributed to the graphics card or could it be something else like the PSU. I had the computer off all day and when I got home I was getting the graphical artifacts and the card had to be cool by then.

Specs:

Op: Windows XP
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra
Ram: 1gig
Alienware PC.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Hi,

I think it could be three things: bad PSU, overheating GPU, or bad video RAM. First, check your GPU temps with RivaTuner. Use the guide below. Also, post your voltages with SpeedFan. And check what your PSU specs are by looking at the info on the side. Be sure to include Watts, and the Amps on the +12 v.
http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/misc/riva_tuner/riva_tuner.html

Can you please post your full specs? Use Everest and post all it says in the System Summary.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.