Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is the correct forum; I really don't know where to look for help. I just noticed that with several programs (MS Word, a flow chart program, and a Cad program, but not MS Paint) I cannot draw a line from a right staring point straight to the left. It will just not appear! To be more complete, in any of these programs, I can click the mouse to set the anchor point for a line, while still pressing the mouse button, drag the pointer to draw the line, then while still holding the button down, drag the pointer 360 degrees aroud the start point. The line will correctly be rendered, like a watch hand around the dial, but the line goes blank a the 9 o'clock position! It will continue to appear when I pass 9 o'clock. Since it happens on multiple programs, it must be something they have in common, a DLL?, the video board? I don't have a clue. Help!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Line problem solved

To everyone I asked about this:

This is the conclusion to the vector line problem that I was having. I’m putting it to rest after 3 hours of messing around and a zillion reboots.

The bottom line is, with my original graphics card, the vector lines drawn right to left show on display when the performance acceleration setting is set to “Basic”, I would have discovered this last week, but I didn’t realize I had to reboot to make it take effect, when clicking apply didn’t fix it, I set it back to “full” before shutting down.

As an added bonus, this also fixed a problem I’ve had for several years, where horizontal lines would not display in IE, though they did in every other browser.

It seems that several years ago, I must have set it on full acceleration, because that seemed like a good thing to do, and I’d didn’t have any reason to draw a right to left vector until last week. Also, since I use Netscape, the IE missing line problem didn’t show up soon enough for me to make the connection.

Just for grins, I tried the Viper V550 board I borrowed from work. That added to 90% of tonight’s “driver and reboot hell”, both installing it and then putting my old board back.
With the Viper, everything worked fine at full acceleration, but there were two new problems. First, there was an annoying short red vertical line next to the mouse pointer, and 2nd, some of the mouse setting options would no longer work.

So I’m back on the original graphic board at a lower performance setting, and everything works again. Yeah!.
:grin:

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Thanks for posting the solution. My dad was having the same problem with AutoCAD and a Matrox Millennium card.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.