Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help quite badly !!!

Some 3-4 months back I bought an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Card as per some advice. But since then life has been miserable. In normal circumstances the PC works perfectly fine. But as soon as I start playing games (any of the new games), after about an hour or two suddenly the Power Supply blows off !!! This happened twice in the beginning and as it was the rainy season at that time, I though that it might be causing it in some way... I know it sounds silly (Moisture and all that ******** as per the Hardware guy). When it happened for the third time, the power supply took the Processor and Motherboard along with it. After putting in lot of efforts, I somehow managed to claim the warranty for both and luckily I got a new Processor and Motherboard.
This time I used a 400W Power Supply of Company - IBOX, but yesterday even that blew off while playing FAR CRY. This keeps happening with me whenever I play games. I am tired of getting new Power Supplies everytime. What do think the problem might be ??? I know that it has something to do with the Graphic Card and Games for sure... isnt it?? Can there be some leakage of current in the Graphic Card or something ??? If that was the case then the computer shouldnt have started at all right ?? I dont think it would have waited for 2-3 hours to burn if there was some problem.
Do ATI Cards have this problem ??? Do you think 400W Power Supply is not good enough ??? but even if it was less, should it blow off ??

Please let me know ASAP on what you feel about this whole issue and what I should do ....I'll be waiting for replies on this one

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
First I would invest in a good quality psu from PC Power & Cooling, Enermax, Antec, Fortron or Sparkle of 480W+ (500-550 ideal) and I would also reccomend you use a good quality surge surpressor from tripp lite. Sadly one of the most critical components to any computer is the psu, and it is often the component most skimped on. Also make sure all the mobo standoffs are in correct and theat everything is well seated....power cords in good condition etc. The new videocard is more than likely over taxing your current psu andd you sound like you have a lot of power spikes and such where you are, which the surge suppressor and good psu should take care of.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
twajetmech said:
First I would invest in a good quality psu from PC Power & Cooling, Enermax, Antec, Fortron or Sparkle of 480W+ (500-550 ideal) and I would also reccomend you use a good quality surge surpressor from tripp lite. Sadly one of the most critical components to any computer is the psu, and it is often the component most skimped on. Also make sure all the mobo standoffs are in correct and theat everything is well seated....power cords in good condition etc. The new videocard is more than likely over taxing your current psu andd you sound like you have a lot of power spikes and such where you are, which the surge suppressor and good psu should take care of.
Thanks for the mail....
Whats a surge suppresor ??? Is it some kind of AVR (Voltage regulator) or an UPS ???
Secondly how much should the Power Supplies (the ones you are talking about) cost ???

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Surge surpressors will dampen out any spikes in power you get from your main power line (what you plug the computer into) These spikes can destroy your computer, especially if you have a poor psu....the psu's should be around $100-$120 with the exception being pc power & cooling (the very best) at $220. You can find them all at www.newegg.com or www.tigerdirect.com or www.zipzoomfly.com if you purchase the pc p&c then get it direct from them at www.pcpowercooling.com

·
Registered
462 Posts
wow i didnt know PSU's could cost $220, seriously i dont care how good they are, you can get a 6800GT for that (if that is wrong i can't help i'm from UK and don't know much about pricing in dollars, and i paid £700 for my WHOLE pc) so unless your rich or EXTREMELY conscious about your motherboard and CPU then i wouldn't go for PC p&c but go for something thats good value at around $100, remember this could save your pc's life (says the guy with the £10 500watt PSU lol). Sorry if i sounded over assertive and angry, i wasn't, i guess it was just the way it came out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.