Hello!

A while back I bought myself a new computer with the following "ingrediences":

Corsair Powersupply TX 850W
ASUS P5Q Deluxe, P45, Socket-775
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3,33GHz
Corsair TWIN2X PC6400 DDR2 4GB KIT CL5
Western Digital Caviar® GreenPower 1TB
Gainward GeForce GTX 275 896MB PhysX

They all had good reviews and supposedly good performance. Just for the record, I'm using a BenQ 21,5" LCD G2220HD monitor, if that can make a difference.

I'm not a complete nublet when it comes to computers, but I'm not that good either.

My problem seems to be with my graphics card, but I'm not quite sure. Thing is, when I try running games in fullscreen, they freeze after a short amount of time (less than a minute). I have to ctrl+alt+delete and close them. That is for several games (WoW, CS1.6 (what machine can't run that..?) CoD2).
However, when I run for example WoW in windowed mode, it can work just fine. Sometimes it goes flawlessly, but other times it can freeze at some random time, and keep freezing. It does sometimes work to ctrl-alt-delete out of it, wait for the driver to go "nvlddmkm has stopped responding and has successfully recovered" or something down in the right corner, and then the game works again, until the next freezeup (from 5 sec to an hour).

I can also get this occationally when running HighQ movies. I've tried upgrading the driver to the newest version, but still with no results.
Is my graphics card broken, or can it be a software issue? Pretty much been like this since it arrived.

Oh, and also tried with low and high settings. Still unchanged. Tried changing my resolution, but is there anything else that might help in settings? As it crashes in different games, I think it's something with the PC.

Any help appreciated. I'm consdering sending it in return to the store, but that'll mean I have to live without a computer for a few weeks, and you know - if I can avoid that, it's all better :) Thanks!

·
Registered
549 Posts
u can check cpu and gpu temp with http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php but it seems to me like the video card drivers were not installed, did u atleast install the drivers with the cd that came with the video card? also u can check to see if any drivers werent installed by going to start>right click my computer, click properties>hardware tab> device manager and seeing if ! or ? are next to any devices

·
Registered
549 Posts
not at all, try running warcraft 3 frozen throne with no drivers, i am able to run it but everything is glitchy and black and white, WoW is not a high graphics game and as a result can sometimes still be played by some video cards with old to no drivers, for my computer atleast windows mode is easier to run then full screen

treme might i ask did u put you ram in yourself? the ram could be on the wrong channel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Driver is installed. Also updated to a more recent driver, but I still have the exact same issue. My RAM bricks were set in where I bought the computer, but seems to be set correctly. I might try using just one brick of RAM, but I do also want to use my whole amount of it, obviously.

Downloaded the temperature checker. GPU stays under 40c, and CPU stays under 35c. Doubt it's a heating issue as my fans are good.

It seems so random. For example now, I tried logging in several times. Game froze almost instantly 2-3 times, I had to ctrl-alt-delete and exit it, then on the forth try it works just fine. However, if I try running CS1.6, it's hopeless. Can barely get into a game before it crashes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok! My RAM sticks were placed in A1 and B1, e.g.

<<<<<RAM>>>>>
<<<<empty>>>>>
<<<<<RAM>>>>>
<<<<Empty>>>>>

Dont know if that is right.

Either way, I removed the stick in B1, just running with 1 stick now, and so far it's all working perfect. Can run fullscreen games and tab in and out for the first time since I bought the computer.

Thanks a lot for the nice tips. If it starts malfunctioning again I'll re-poke the thread to seek alternative options :) Cheers guys!

·
Registered
549 Posts
if u look in your m/b manual there will be a section where it says place this chip here and another chip here if u have 2 sticks of ram and so on, some m/b are different and are placed in different places but might want to check on that to see if u can place the other stick somewhere else, also is your ram the same type on both sticks?
i wouldnt suggest updating bios unless something is wrong with it, "don't fix something that isn't broken" well i forgot who said it >.< updating bios is easy but if u mess up it can crash your m/b permanently

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, not updating bios now that it seems to be working :) And I'll check my motherbord manual. The two sticks are the same, but I'm running 32 Vista anyway, so the difference is minor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.