Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I know you never get %100 of the advertised space of a HD but 35 gbs that is insane:upset: . I ordered a 500 gb Maxtor and only got 465gbs, thats only %93 of the advertised space!!! A %93 is like an -A in school, for the $$$ i spent on this I would at least like to get a high A like %95 to %98 of the advertised space.

What is up with the actual being SO far off of the advertised? Is there some type of built in backup space to cover sections that go bad:4-dontkno . OR do these manafactures think they can take us to town on these cause they think we won't miss the extra 35 gbs? Please someone help me rationalize this becuase Im losing my faith in Maxtor. Are all the manafactures like this?

EDIT: If this is just their "error" why are other smaller dives only off a few gbs and not like half the drive?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey, my "20 GB" iPod also has exactly 92.5% of the advertised capacity (18.5 GB).

Interesting that two different external hard drives both has 93%, and two different iPods both had 92.5%.

EDIT: I think I figured out what's going on. Most companies use the definition of GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes, but since computer memory has an inclination towards powers of 2, the real value of a GB is 1,073,741,824 bytes (this unit has been defined as gibibyte or GiB to avoid confusion). Thus, a gigabyte is actually only 93% of a gibibyte. Companies are just using the definition that makes their product look better, even though the practical space available is less than what is advertised.

Thank you, Wikipedia.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey, my "20 GB" iPod also has exactly 92.5% of the advertised capacity (18.5 GB).

Interesting that two different external hard drives both has 93%, and two different iPods both had 92.5%.

EDIT: I think I figured out what's going on. Most companies use the definition of GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes, but since computer memory has an inclination towards powers of 2, the real value of a GB is 1,073,741,824 bytes (this unit has been defined as gibibyte or GiB to avoid confusion). Thus, a gigabyte is actually only 93% of a gibibyte. Companies are just using the definition that makes their product look better, even though the practical space available is less than what is advertised.

Thank you, Wikipedia.
WELL DAMN, case closed. Those sneeky :upset:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.