Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriends computer had some pretty serious malware problems and I got those all cleaned up but I think that in the process it may have screwed up some of her important system files. The computer is working alright at the moment but I find it hard to leave things as they are when I know it is going to cause more trouble in the long run. I tried using the recovery console to repair an installation but it would only let me do a clean instal, but I don't want to have to reformat the drive and lose all her files. Is it possible for me to install a second operating system on a seperate partition and then transfer her files to the new partition and operating system? And then having transfered the files to erase the old partition and the old operating system. Please let me know if this is a possible solution. Thank you.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Hi CompNovice..

what do you mean when you refer to screwing up important system files?

As you have the install disc, have you tried running the System File Checker? This is a process which scans the integrity of the system files and if any are found to be damaged or corrupt in any way, it will copy fresh ones from the install disc:

- Click Start -> Run -> type:
sfc /scannow
- Click OK
- Insert XP disc when prompted

Also, to perform the repair installation, you have to follow the usual directions for a fresh installation with one change....use the link below for reference as it explains the whole process from start to finish with screenshots:
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm

Hope that helps :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.