Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like there has been a lot of excitement over the upcoming Google operating system.
Article, blogs and forums make it sound like it's the "End of the Microsoft Reign"

1. It's free
2. It's fast - being mac/unix based
3. It's fully compatible with windows-based applications and programs (apparently)

It sounds like it would be a nice at-home client operating system if it really is as good as they say, but Microsoft still majorly dominates the business world, and it looks like they will for a while longer.

Any thoughts? :grin:

·
Manager, - Alternative Computing, - Design
6,530 Posts
Hi,

Personally I think that ChromeOS is a junk. Yes it free. Yes it is based off if linux, (but I will get to that later on). I don't know about the it being compatable with a many windows programs. I have heard that it will work with office live, but who uses that anyway .

I have seen it in action on a couple of podcasts, and from what I can see it is basically the Chrome browser on top of an Ubuntu base. On top of that you can't use it like a normal OS, there is no Gnome or KDE, it is just the Chrome browser with another tab with your widgets, very similar to the netbook remix

So to make a long rant short if you like the Chrome Browser and google apps then you will like the Chrome OS, if you don't then you probably won't like the OS.

Cheers!.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,367 Posts
I have yet to find anything from this company that I would use, other than their lovely search engine. I am not impressed with Chrome, especially not what it did to my computer.

Would not install. Even if it was free, no way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's good to know. I have heard of Chrome doing strange things at times.

I have a piece of junk laptop that hardly supports Windows XP, so the thought of a lighter windows compatible operating system was pretty appealing.

Knowing this though, I might just install Redhat :p

·
Manager, - Alternative Computing, - Design
6,530 Posts
so chrome OS = a browser ??or a total OS based on ubunto??
Chrome is a browser and an OS that is based on ubuntu. There isn't a lot of talk of the OS yet because they haven't released an easy to get version for people to play with. From what I have seen, it isn't anything to call mom about.

Cheers!

·
Emeritus
1,131 Posts
The idea seems to be going towards cloud computing - have everything on the internet. Games? Word processor? Email? Documents? Music? All on the internet. If everything is on the internet and accessable via web pages, all you need is a browser. For some people this makes sense, like the people that buy a netbook to check email, facebook, twitter, news sites, forums, etc. The majority of what they do is use a web browser.

People like me have no real use for one of these. I need a fast machine with a good Unix-like OS (Mac OS X, Linux, *BSD, etc) with compilers, terminals and other utilities. In addition, I use my computer for playing music and watching movies (why have a TV?). I like having all of my programs and data available when internet access is not available.

The upside is they'll probably put some serious work into browser technology and efficiently caching data used in web applications. People targeting Chrome OS should be working on making quality web applications. The advantage is we'll probably get more applications like Google Docs, online book services, etc. Some of these things are very helpful. I know people that used Google Docs to be able to concurrently work on the same document for college projects. No docx compatibility issues. No emailing updated documents around. No issues merging changes. I'm not really interested in Chrome OS, I'm interested in what people might make because of it (which I will proceed to use from the same Mac OS X, Linux and FreeBSD systems I've been using for years).

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,105 Posts
I have a copy of the VM ware ISO it looks to be Chome in console mode it's not compatible with any windows programs all I've found so far is the ability to run apps over the web you can not save or install anything locally so if you have a slow or no internet connection your dead in the water.
You might as well run Ubuntu at least you have the ability to use Google apps and save to use locally as well as install programs for local use for the same low price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By having it network oriented, the speed of your internet connection then determines the overall speed of everything you do, right? That does seem pretty unattractive, because based on your location, your internet variety could be very limited to say, dial-up only. That makes it sound kinda futuristic, if I understand the concept correctly :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'll fiddle with it, if only for the promise of Windows compatibility on a Unix-like system... but I'm not expecting to be terribly impressed. My XP/Ubuntu dual-boot will probably continue to serve its purpose after the release of Chrome OS.

·
TSF Enthusiast
1,292 Posts
Google's OS is never going as powerful as Windows (and other OS's)

Skip to avoid my semi-rambling
but it will be what a good amount of people want, because all that the OS is made for is a fast bootup, then go post on twitter, then facebook, then go check emails( for work or something) then chat with friend for an hour then just shut it off and repeat the process.

Basically, for most people it the PERFECT netbook (and that's the only computer it's intended for) this OS is only intended for internet use only.

IMO- It will become popular in teenagers and those who for work they need to check E-mails and make phone calls to clients.

Quick question- how is Ubanuttu, is it worth it, will it interfere with windows in a 'Tri-boot' setup?

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,367 Posts
If you partition your hard drive correctly, the operating systems can not interfere with each other. This is how I am able to keep my Debian screw-ups under control.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I like cloud computing for backup and basic stuff (xfire, for instance) but I think desktop-based computing is far more secure.

I see chrome as useful on netbooks and netbooks alone. I dont need a full desktop machine to take notes during lectures, so a sleek underpowered chrome netbook would work.

For pretty much all uses chrome OS seems like a useless product, but it'll have a few uses (ie: lecture notes example)

·
Registered
48 Posts
1. It's free
2. It's fast - being mac/unix based
3. It's fully compatible with windows-based applications and programs (apparently)
If its free, unix based and sorta (maybe) compatible with windows stuff, and so many people are making a fuss out of it, why aren't they all using linux already? Seems to me it will just be a flashy looking thing like the chrome browser and that it will appeal to people with netbooks as someone above mentioned. I can't see it being the end of the great microsoft era, certainly not in business. I also wonder in what ways google will make money out of it, adverts on your desktop anybody? they aren't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. I think I'll stick with my windows/ubuntu setup,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.