Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Moderator , Windows Tech Team , Hardware Tech T
Operating Systems || Hardware || Most Tech Stuff
3,158 Posts
Not sure if you installed this off an old disk or if the App was never upgraded.

You have X64 of Windows, uninstall the existing Google Earth from Programs & Features (Backup all your required Google Earth information before doing this), download and install it from the link below, it has a free key for the Pro version, try this and let us know what happens.

You can probably do an in place upgrade as well, but I never recommend it unless absolutely necessary.

Code:
support.google.com/earth/answer/168344?hl=en&ref_topic=4363014

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Spunk/Wrench97/tristar

The chipset install went fine but the ATI driver failed twice it told me.
So I did what spunk said and went to C:\SWSETUP...I found 2 different setup.exe files in there, and tried them both. They both told me that "A newer version of HP support is installed", and that's it.
I don't know why the update for the ATI driver fails. I do everything as told here and the HP program.

Thxs again

Pat

Attachments

·
Registered
40,896 Posts
The Setup you are running is for HP Support assistant not ATI.
Browse the C: drive and see if you have an ATI file there (ie) C:\ATI or C:\AMD look for Setup.exe. Right click it and choose Properties/Compatibility make the driver Compatible with XP. Put a check box in Run As Administrator. Apply and OK. Now double click Setup.exe in the ATI folder and it will run the driver as Administrator in Compatibility Mode for Windows XP.

·
Game Team Tech
943 Posts
so what graphics card did you replace it with that would help? If you what to use the onboard graphics you would need to change the vga dvi cable to use it. if your are using the pci graphics you would need to find the make and model to install the correct drivers.

finally the bios settings might need to be changed from pci to onboard graphics.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The AMD tool asked me to select my video card from a drop down menu. LOL
Isn't it supposed to detect that?
How to find out which card I have?
It was installed by bestbuy, I don't know whats in there.

Spunk, I found an ATI folder, I searched and can't find a setup.exe file.
It has 50000 folders, it's hard to open everything. It might be in there.
How do I search a selected folder?
Also you said to "run the driver as Administrator in Compatibility Mode for Windows XP", but I have windows 7. Still proceed with that windows XP command if I find the setup.exe

Thxs for your patience guys

Pat

Attachments

·
Registered
40,896 Posts
"run the driver as Administrator in Compatibility Mode for Windows XP"
That is what Compatibility Mode is for. If you have a driver that works for an older Windows OS, you run it in Compatibility Mode to install it in a newer version of Windows.
If you have an ATI folder in the root of the C: drive (ie) C:\ATI, Not in C:\Program Files, In the Device Manager, Right click the Default VGA device and choose Update Driver, choose the ATI folder to scan for a driver.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Do you have a video card or are you using Integrated video?
What port is the monitor connected to on the back of the PC?
Perhaps posting a picture of the back of the PC would be the easiest way.
I have a video card, best buy installed it when my old one died. I have no clue what integrated video is.
Pics of the back of my PC attached.

Thxs

Pat

Attachments

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,102 Posts
Integrated video is on the motherboard chip set, as shown on the HP spec sheet for your PC,, I assumed earlier that is what you were using since the video card died(my bad).

D/L the free version of Belarc Advisor lets see if it can ID the card you have installed > https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor
Grab a screen shot of the section under Display.

·
Registered
40,896 Posts
so what graphics card did you replace it with that would help? .
If this question was answered earlier, we could have saved several steps.
Belark Adviser will till you what the card is under Display

·
Game Team Tech
943 Posts
Nothing useful next step is to try and update the driver through device manager the first it to right click on the standard vga display and click search for hardware changes see if it will install the driver for the graphics card.

·
Registered
40,896 Posts
Open the case, and look at the card, you may have to remove it. Look for any Manufacturer name and model #. Go to the Manufacturers site and type in the model# and download the driver.
Or find your Best Buy receipt and see what they installed.

·
54,102 Posts
Lets see if we can find the hardware IDs in device manager.
In Windows 7, open the Start Menu and search for "device" or "device manager." Then, click the Device Manager search result.

Expand the display adapter line.
Right click on the display adapter and select Properties from the list.
In the drop down menu select hardware Ids
HardwareIds1.JPG

Post the PCI/Ven_ & Dev numbers.
HardwareIds2.JPG

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Lets see if we can find the hardware IDs in device manager.
In Windows 7, open the Start Menu and search for "device" or "device manager." Then, click the Device Manager search result.

Expand the display adapter line.
Right click on the display adapter and select Properties from the list.
In the drop down menu select hardware Ids
View attachment 324228

Post the PCI/Ven_ & Dev numbers.
View attachment 324230
Sorry about the delay I never got a notification that this was updated. I thought everyone gave up.

Thxs so much for sticking with it.

Pat

Attachments

·
54,102 Posts
PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6617&CC_0300
Is VENdor AMD/ATI & DEVice R7 240

So these ATI/AMD drivers should be what you need(scroll down to Win7 64bit) > https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-r7-series/amd-radeon-r7-200-series/amd-radeon-r7-240

Use Display Driver Uninstall(DDU) from guru3d to uninstall the current set and then D/L the driver from the link above and install the new(D/L the driver first if you like and save the file to your desktop to make it easy to find if you prefer) follow the DDU instructions here on Guru3d > https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/display-driver-uninstaller-thread.379505/

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.