·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here's the layout:

Bellsouth DSL
Westell 2100 modem (new)
Linksys WRT54G wireless router (new)

Everything's working fine from a desktop running W98SE, through Cat 5.

However, when I connect to the wireless from the Laptop (Dell -- running XP), I connect to the network just fine. I can see the desktop, I can ping the router, and print to the desktop's shared printer. BUT, I can't surf. I can't access the router over wireless either.

I have the modem set to Bridged Ethernet, and the router set to PPPoE, for what difference it makes. I have WEP enabled, and I'm making a sucessful link inasmuch as I can print, but I can't find anything that would (should) block internet access to the laptop. I haven't made ANY changes to the linksys defaults EXCEPT to enable PPPoE, change the password and SSID, and enable WEP. That's all outside of factory defaults.

Where do I begin? :4-dontkno

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Start, Run, type "cmd", type "ipconfig /all >C:\ipconfig.txt". Leave out the quotes ("").

Open C:\ipconfig.txt with Notepad and copy/paste the info back for review and comment.

JamesO

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : RoseannLaptop

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-F0-01-4F-31

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 205.152.37.23

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, September 25, 2005 10:07:51 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, September 26, 2005 10:07:51 PM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-43-49-D5-88

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
The Intel 2200BG is known for crappy software and flaky wireless connections.

First thing I would try is updating the software via Windows update, choose Custom and see if there are any hardware updates for the wireless card. You will obviously need to do this via a wired connection to this laptop.

That being said, there still seems like something else is not working correctly here. I am a bit confused that you can ping the router, but not access its web interface.

I would try rebooting the router and if the does not work, updatethe router firmware. The Linksys support site will have firmware updates for your router. Make sure you know which version router you have and pick the correct firmware.

JamesO

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks James,

Incidentally, I can even ping www.google.com successfully, but I just can't browse to it. Strange.

I'll try a driver/software update on the Intell 2200BG first, and let you know how that goes (provided it doesn't completely run my wireless connectivity :sayno: ).

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
What are you using for a browser? IE, Firefox or other?

If you are using IE, make sure all your Security settings are set to default.

I am a bit puzzled as to why you cannot open your router web interface, but can ping it. Did you power cycle the router yet?

You can ping Google by www.google.com? What about by IP address 64.233.161.99?

What happens if you put 209.59.143.50 in your brower address line?

JamesO

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
James, I'll have to let you know about the pinging attempts after I get home tonight. As for browsers, I tried both IE, and Mozilla with the same result.

For now, please accept my most sincere thanks for hanging with me on this one. I'm clueless without some quidance. Thanks for helping. :sayyes:

I'll let you know about pinging those specific IP's.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset [log_file_name]

Note: the log_file_name needs to be specified, e.g. netsh int ip reset reset.log

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Johnwill,

I'm not familiar with that process; will it interfere (or reset) any other connections that exist on this machine? The reason I ask is that it's a corporate machine that was provided for my wife to use at a school (with linksys wireless). They have some funky settings that I can't duplicate without explicit knowledge of their AP(s) (read, WEP keys, etc). they know I'm setting up a wireless network at home, and even encouraged it, but I wouldn't want to corrupt anything they have pre-set.

Is this a safe option given the circumstances? Or should I ask their SysAnalyst to do this?

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I'd just take the router to their IT department and have them configure it to work with their presets. It's less headache for you and something to do for them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Based on everything I read so far in this thread, you are having a Software problem, not a problem with the router or other hardware. Do you have a firewall installed on your Dell laptop? When connected by wire, with the laptop, can you access the internet then? If you boot to safe mode with networking, while still using wireless, does IE work then?

Safe mode instructions:

Restart computer, and start tapping on the f8 key about every second when you see the Dell splash screen. Using the up/down arrow keys, highlight safe mode with networking, then press enter.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if there is a VPN configured with the school software, this might be an issue??

Also maybe there is web browsing restrictions put on this machine?

Can you search with a wired connection?

JamesO

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am absolutely ASHAMED of myself. I found it, and I can't believe what was holding me up all this time.

Browser Proxy Settings. :plthumbsd: The school uses a proxy server (I guess for control over content, and where the students are and are not allowed to browse.)

I wasn't really thinking at the browser level because IE, and Mozilla were behaving the same. Once I discovered the proxy settings, it all made sense. Check direct connection to internet, and everything's fine.

Thanks for all your help guys. I really hope you don't feel like the time has been wasted, but I am sincerely grateful for your time and attention.

Now to get a "package" off to Jason Connors. :sayyes:

BTW, I have statistical information for all the questions above if you just want to see the tracerts, and the ping stats. I'll be glad to post it up if it'll help anyone or anything in the future.

Thanks again everyone!!! :4-clap:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.