Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be using my same CPU, RAM, hard drives, etc.

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358

Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147135

Short background story:

I had a Dell Dimension 9100. I went to do some PC upgrades one day (add 2GB of RAM to my 1GB to give me 3GB, and change to a new 500GB hard drive) and after some problems I encountered, my PC stopped turning on at all. It was dead, not a single sign of life other than the flea light on the motherboard. After a few tech shops examined it and topics I made online, I concluded my motherboard was dead (it was for sure not the power supply). So, I need a new motherboard. Problem is, the Dimension 9100 is a BTX computer, and they don't make BTX mobos anymore, thus the need for me to convert to an ATX mobo with an ATX case.

I had a Pentium D CPU that I can't afford to upgrade right now, so I'm sticking with an LGA 775 motherboard. I also have DDR2 memory and again, can't afford to change that either so I went with the motherboard above that uses LGA 775 and DDR2.

I plan on using my same power supply. 375W, should be sufficient enough for my PC. I can use the same power supply right? As in, even though it was a BTX case before, it shouldn't have problems fitting in an ATX case right?

Anyway, yeah. How are the parts I picked above? The motherboard seems to be a ton nicer than my last one, with quite a few extra USB ports and PS/2 ports (can you believe my 9100 from 2005 didn't have those?). I know nothing about cases though, so I have no clue what to look for when buying a case.

Any input would be appreciated. Feel free to suggest your own parts as well but keep in mind I want to spend as little as I can.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts

·
Moderator; Hardware
19,889 Posts
The cpu heatsink and fan, should still be sufficient. Dell typically has plastic shrouds around their heatsinks to control airflow. The shroud can be removed or altered easy enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.