Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone...

Here is a problem that is driving me insane...I am just embaressed...if you can please please help me...I will be so grateful, below I will try to provide all the information I have to help you help me :)

I have a cheap Systemax computer (was initially optimized for AOL) which has an onboard AC97 (Realtek??) sound card...It worked fine for 2 years...I was always using speakers with it...

However lately I have had to switch between speakers and headphones and everytime I unplugged and plugged either one...the software popped up...most of the time it just required me to click OK...but some other times it had problems and I had to restart until I could have sound on again...

about 10 days ago...again I unplugged the speakers and plugged in the headphones...the usual window popped up and I didn't get sound out of headphones...I restarted and still no sound...so I opened device manager and everything seemed fine...no exclamation marks no nothing..."multimedia audio controller" device said it was working properly...

I didn't understand what the problem was...I disabled, enabled the audio controller...restarted , nothing happened...then I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver...again no success...so at this point I decided I fried the sound card while I was unplugging and plugging in headphones/speaker...I googled it and found some stuff online that said this action may short the sound card circuits etc...

So , being convinced I killed the onboard soundcard...I ordered a new sound card online, from eBay...cheapest one :( the sound card arrived few days ago. It is C-Media CMI8738/C3DX PCI-SX 4 channel sound card....

With my excitement , I proceeded to install the new sound card...and I forgot to disable the onboard card from the BIOS...During the installation of the driver...the last file gave an error...I restarted and it seemed drivers were installed...but no sound...

So I turned off the computer and did everything from scratch as I was supposed to...I uninstalled the new sound card...restarted and disabled the onboard sound card from integrated peripherals in bios....then uninstalled all drivers and devices about audio....then installed the card again , restarted...installed the new driver with no problem whatsoever. But still no sound... restarted and no sound...Of course nothing is muted or anything and audio is supposed to be working properly looking at device manager and control panel sound setting etc...I tried different speakers and headphones and still no sound...

Being so frustrated I googled and googled...downloaded all kinds of other drivers from c-media site and some other places... installed them and no sound...I just don't know what is wrong...

Please please help...I am gonna go insane.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Uninstall old drivers to do with all sound cards.. Disable onboard sound. Update bios and all drivers make sure you have dx9 up-to-date. And windows up-to-date and if there is still a problem you will have my full attention

Run Driver Cleaner and ccleaner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.