Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sure 'Global Editing' is not the correct term for what I want to do, but that's the best I could come up with. I have a website in HTML that has 21 pages. There is a menu on each of the pages and I was wondering if there was a way to add something to the menu and make it appear on all of the pages without having to edit them one by one. I know of some ways - frames, CMS, SHTML (maybe idk lol), but I need to know if there is a way to do it with just plain old html pages the way I have it. I hope that was clear enough. If really necessary, here is the link: http://www.diva-wrestling.co.nr/ (Does NOT contain nudity, but girls in bikinis and revealing outfits, etc.)

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Design Team
2,274 Posts
Hmm.

Are you asking for a way to add something to each of the pages such as a server side include that you can later update once to update every page, or a way to do a one-time addition to each of the pages on your site without having to edit each one. I've never tried the latter...

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you find that you need to update several pages just to add one item, then SSI is what you need to look into. You started off on the wrong foot, and depending on how far you are into completing the site you may want to consider redoing those portions the right way.

SSI is implemented differently depending what technology you are using. For your problem, you would create the Menu in a SSI file. Then all your other pages would have a snippet of code that would point to that Menu file. If you needed to add an item to the menu, all you would do is edit the Menu file. All of your other pages would get the update since they point to the Menu file.

This is something you need to layout before writing a line of html code.

Good luck.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Design Team
2,274 Posts
MM, to add to what Vincent said, you will need to know a bit about your server before jumping in. A windows or Apache server will both handle server-side includes if they are configured appropriately. Find out what kind of server will be used, and try out an include before you spend lots of time on it. Keep in mind that the code will be slightly different depending on your server.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.