Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, you mgiht remember me from a while back with problems of short periodical glitches that i thought was my power suply. well i got a new powersupply and it didnt do anything, yes i should have listened to johnny faster, but you guys were very persistent!! but anyway its a nice powersupply and i needed another one anyway for multiple computers that i now have....but it turned out to be that i had the bios set on raid isntead of ide and sata was turned on... neither of which i used. so now its happeneing again!! i think its only happening because i left my computer on all night which for my custom system isn't the best thing to do. i also noticed that the hd led blinks exactly as the glitches happen. say i open up my sound editing program, (soundforge), and i start to play a track or something and then alot more irratically than last time it glitches over and over alot less consistently. its a hard problem to otherwise describe. im almost positive it has nothing to do with Malware because otherwise my computer is extremely well maintained as far as software goes.

heres the old thread. http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=61992

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well this might help.....
it seems that i have a bad hard drive. it failed the other day and doen't boot up and half the time it doesn't even get detected and its also been making alot of noise since it gave up. im now using an old 13 GB hd and having absolutely no problems. besides the loss of over 90GB of files.... is my hard drive recoverable? is there any way to fix it? shaking it didn't work... :dead:

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Proffessionals can restore the data but it gets expensive. In the old days, you could sometimes tap it to get it to boot one last time, similar to tapping an automobile starter.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi,

This will sound weird but put your hard drive in a sealed "freezer" bag. leave it overnight in your freezer. When you reinstall hard drive be ready to copy all your vital documents etc... It may spin up just once so be ready...it may not but i tried this when all else failed and it worked for me...Another thing to try not really recomended but if you have all that info i would try... while your pc is on try connect ide cable to dead hard drive and plug in power cable to hard drive to see if it spins up might be worth a try.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i would try it but last time i hooekd it up to my computer i couldnt even detect the other hard drives that were hooked up so i took it out imediately.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
The freezer method has been known to be quite successful for people :)

If you're worrried, you could connect it on it's own and just check BIOS...if it doesn't work, it's just a case of disconnecting and reconnecting your other hdds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.