7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Before I start this is my computer specifications:

Intel P4 2.80 GHz
2 x 512 MB RAM
Elsa Gladiac Ti4200 128 MB
ASUS P4C800

I have been having some problem with my graphics. I am not sure if it is because I have updated the BIOS. But anyway, I have updated now both the system BIOS and the video card driver to the latest version, but the problem persists.

It starts with the screen glitches when I play C&C Generals. I know this game uses much resources but I have tried successfully with another PC with less specifications. The glitches would become so unbearable that I cannot play the game.

The same problem occured when I play Rise of Nations too, but less.

Then I tried changing the system BIOS specs. I tried changing most of the graphic related settings and if they don't work, I revert to the original setting. There was this setting that asked if it should assign IRQ for PCI video card. Initially, it was set at 'yes' and I set it to 'no', since I am using an AGP card. It improved tremendously and the glitches come after a few minutes of playing.

Now, the glitches, are less but occassionally, the screen blanked out for about 5 seconds and resume. At the moment, I still can't play the game.

Please help. I practically tried everything. Do you know if this video card is problematic or what? Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Did you install the Intel INF Update? This includes the drivers to the AGP port on your motherboard, as well as many other drivers. Without this, you'll face problems. Here's the link:
Intel INF Update

In BIOS, you'll want the IRQ assigned to graphics, and set the AGP Aperture to 128MB. Disabling Spread Spectrum might help in case you've done some overclocking.

In the Advanced Settings of the Display Properties, what are your settings in the nVidia tab? Ansiotropic, Antialiasing, Texture Sharpening, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mental,

Thanks for being so prompt.

I did not install this Intel INF Update, or at least I don't know if I did. I bought the ASUS motherboard and installed based on the instructions and using the driver in the CD. And I used the update software by ASUS to update my BIOS. My BIOS is now 1011. Does this include this Intel INF Update? Do I still need to do this?

Do I need to assign IRQ to graphics because it says assign IRQ to PCI graphics but I am not using PCI but AGP? Please advise.

I have read your replies to others and have tried things like Spreads Sprectrum. I am not overclocking. Anyway, I have tried enabling and disabling but the effect is the same.

I have meddled with the Advanced Setting for the Display Properties from one end to the other. No effect. Currently, the Anisotropic, Antilaliasing is set to minimum and texture sharpening is on. Anything else that I can try?

Thanks, Mental.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I downloaded the INF Update Utility [INFINST.EXE] and ran it. I followed the instructions and restarted. Upon trying the game, the problem persists.

What else do you think we can try?

I checked the fan of the video card and it was running, so it is not overheating.

Anybody?

·
Registered
376 Posts
You still need to assign an IRQ to the graphics. GPU manufacturers say that things can go wrong with AGP cards if this is not set.

Are there any device conflicts? Make sure that the AGP card has it's own IRQ that isn't shared.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I have assigned IRQ to the PCI graphic card in the system BIOS. The computer says no conflict of IRQ. However, my graphic card is using IRQ16 and is sharing this with a USB Host Controller. I know sometimes sharing IRQ is ok but I don't know if this is my problem. Anyway, I tried changing the IRQ but there was no option or any way for me to change IRQs.

By the way, I am using DirectX 9b. Any relation?

My screen is still blanking out and playing the game is so difficult despite setting at the lowest graphic detail.

·
Registered
376 Posts
DirectX 9.0b is a good thing to have, so that's not messing anything up.

The sharing with the USB controller could be the problem. Go into the BIOS and choose No for the Plug and Play OS. This will let the BIOS assign IRQ's. IF you already have it set as No, then select Yes to allow Windows XP assign the IRQ's. Changing this setting could fix the IRQ sharing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I started with off with No for Plug and Play OS. Yesterday, I tried changing it to Yes but there is no difference. Both ways, I cannot change the IRQ. How do you change the IRQ? I am using Windows XP Home Edition.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I checked what I have on my IRQ's and discovered my graphics card shares IRQ 16 with one of my USB host controllers. I don't have any graphics problems, so I doubt the IRQ is a problem. (Unless there are more devices on your IRQ 16.)

Go into your display properties, settings, advanced. Go to the nVidia tab.
Performance & Quality:
Manually select 2xQ Antialiasing and 4x Ansiotropic Filtering.
Direct 3D:
Set Maximum System Memory to the lowest number possible.

We have similar systems, so this is baffling me. Can you adjust video properties in the games themselves?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, just the USB Host Controller sharing the IRQ.

Nothing with the Antialising and Anisotropic. In fact, I set them to max and down to minimum but nothing.

Direct 3D setting? The lowest possible? I will try but why? Shouldn't it be the other way. Is it supposed to show Direct 8.1 irregardless of the real version installed in my system.

Yes, I have adjusted the settings in the game itself. Since Generals take up lots of resources, I suspected it at first. I set it to the minimum and medium, but it still pops up. Maybe better slightly, but it still persists.

Prior to this, I played with another video card also by Elsa Gladiac but 64 MB and RAM was only 512 MB. CPU was 1.8 GHz. But it was perfect. Ran smooth like a baby's butt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried setting the Maximum System Memory for DirecxtX to the lowest possible which is 2 MB and the result is the same.

Can it be the monitor's problem? The monitor is also new. It is a Philips 17S Light Frame.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hook up another monitor to test this on and see if you get the same results. That will rule out the monitor issue by trying that.

That old system with the 1.8GHz CPU and 64MB graphics card was an entirely different system, correct? Please don't tell me you're trying to use the 2.8GHz CPU and new graphics card in the old case with the same old power supply.

What brand, model, and wattage power supply are you using in the new system? Just curious.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.