Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found your web site, really a great place :sayyes: I checked the harddrive threads, but didn't find anything pertinent to my problem. I take old pc's and get them back up and running, then give them to kids whose folks can't afford one. Normally I will format the harddrive, then install a copy of Win 98se, but this time I've came across a glitch, that I can't figure out an answer to. After formatting the harddrive and in the process of installing the OS, it gets to the place where it askes if I want the typical or custom install. When I click on typical I get a error screen that says "application error. SUWIN caused a general protection fault in module KRNL 386.exe at 000:4270 " I have rebooted and started over a couple of times, but when I get to that same place on the install, the error pops up. I installed another harddrive that I had formatted, and it did the same thing, at the same place of the installation. I replaced the copy of win 98se with another, thinking it may be a defective cd, but get the same thing. This one has me really scratching my head. :4-dontkno
Krazbob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dai said:
do a low level format of the drive and try installing again
I did that, and the install was going fine, with no error messages, the progress scale came up to 7%, then I get a screen saying I need to clean my cd disc. I looked at it, altho it was clean with not a mar or scratch on it, I cleaned it, then tried it again. Same screen pops up. I installed another cd drive, tried it again, same thing. :sad:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
try running Dban (in my signature) on your drive / I wipe and erase every drive EVERY time before I install an OS and I never have a problem unless the drive is mechanically a clunker

also memtest is in my signature / it runs in dos from a floppy disk >>> use that prog to check your memory >>>rin it for atleast two hours

goodluck

joe

·
Registered
172 Posts
Fdisk and format/s your hard drive. Reboot to the installation floppy if you purchased the full version of Windows 98. If you have an upgrade version, then
create your boot files, config.sys and autoexec.bat and in the config.sys file make sure that the first 2 lines are:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE

Make sure that Himem.sys and Emm386.exe are in the root of the hard drive along with Mscdex.exe and your cd rom driver. Now try and install Win98.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi,

Yes the answer to your problem here is in the type of GP fault. This does indicate that the memory module is defective and would bet a brass razoo that memtest and alike will find issue with the memory but as i have not used these specific programs I can only hope that if it returns a system memory fine that there is advanced options to turn on looping functions and allow the loop to run for upto 24 hours. This seems to be along time but as a tech we would turn it on when we receive the machine with these types of errors then leave it till we return the next day, even if it is friday to monday as you could nominate cycles or period of time to loop. The purpose of the loop test is that the longer the time the more consistant the average CRC error will be if any is present. Unless there is a major defect the memory could take a while to give up its secrets.
Good luck
Golith

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.