Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

my P34G laptop has recently had a problem where laptop does not turn on when it's plugged into power supply and battery is disconnected.
it does however turns on with battery.
my initial assumption was that power supply is unable to provide power to the motherboard. so I check the adaptor head. it is supplying 19V.
then I checked the power jack, there are 3 pins at the back attaching the power jack to motherboard, there is 19V reading between the outer 2 pins.
since laptop operates on battery just fine, my guess is motherboard is not the issue.

could it be that power jack is faulty even though i get 19V readings on it? or is this an issue of the circuitry between power jack and rest of the motherboard?

is it worth to purchase a power jack and replace it?

what do you think?

Thanks

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
31,447 Posts
You have the correct juice. Does the battery charge?

·
31,447 Posts
If another power cord works you're OK, but if not the charging port is damaged and you might need outside help to fix it.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,131 Posts
If you don't have the correct power adapter attached, it will not work. It may have the same power specs, but still not work.
Try a brand new power adapter for your specific model. If that doesn't work, then the power connector on the motherboard has failed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually have two power adaptors/cords for this and been using both for a long time. Neither of them work on the laptop now. Both are giving me 19V on their output, so they should be ok.
Problem is definitely with either the motherboard or the DC power jack component on the motherboard. If it's the power jack I can buy a compatible power jack and replace it but if it's some circuitry in the motherboard, then it's toast and time to say goodbye to it.
How can I check to see which is the issue?

Thanks

·
31,447 Posts
More likely the charging port, but no guarantee.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've seen a number of issues (particularly with HP laptops) where removing the battery for a couple of minutes, then putting it back will solve a number of issues--some not seemingly related to battery or power at all, such as weird keyboard behavior and the screen not showing an image. Might be worth a try.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,879 Posts
Quite true BeckoningChasm. You left out a few steps though. Pull the coird out then the battery then press the power button to relase any energy in the laptop. Wait a half hour then startup again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Amphx - If I understand you correctly, the laptop will power up if the battery is in place and you have it plugged into the power supply (regardless of whether the battery will charge and hold a charge) but it will not power up if plugged in to the power supply with the battery removed. The laptop design may require exterior power to run through the battery regardless of its ability to hold a charge. I had a Dell once that worked like that. I think my curent 10 year old Lenovo operates the same way. Battery doesn't have to fully hold a charge at all but has to be inserted in place to power up off the power supply cord.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts