Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just set up a Gigabyte GA-7N400Pro with a AMD Barton 3000+ Athlon XP 400FSB. The problem is that if I change the FSB frequency to anything but 100Mhz in CMOS then I get 5 beeps (CPU error I think) and no video or bootup. I can’t even get back into CMOS, I have to clear CMOS to be able to get into CMOS again.

So here’s what I’ve done. On the Mobo, set the SYSTEM JUMPER (CLK_SW) to ON which the manual says supports FSB400/333/266 MhzCPU. Off would be fixed at 200Mhz.

In CMOS I have:
- set system performance to OPTIMAL-most stable settings (from manual)
-Tried setting FSB to 100, 133, 166, and 200 MHZ. Anything but 100 kills bootup!
-Memory Frequency, tried setting “by SPD” and “AUTO”, neither worked
-AGP frequency AUTO

What am I doing wrong?

MB SPECS: 7n400PRO supports 400/333/266/200 FSB, Nforce2 Ultra400/MCP-T, DDR dual channel, 8XAGP, ATX form factor.

When set to 100Mhz FSB, bootup screen says AMD chip is running at 1050 Mhz.

I also purchased a 400W power supply, Volcano CPU fan, 2x512 Corsair Dual Channel 3200C2PT DIMMS, Ati Radeon 9600 PRO 128 4/8x AGP, 80gig SATA Maxtor HD

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
clarify

I just wanted to clarify that if I don't change any of the CMOS settings, I can boot just fine and get back into CMOS a second time. Heck I CAN make changes to boot order and such so long as I stay away from FSB frequency. But even if THE ONLY change made is the FSB frequency to higher than 100Mhz, no workie. Even if it's the ONLY thing I change.

Also, there is no OS loaded on this system yet. Just been trying to set up CMOS.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Similar problem

Hi,

I have a very similar problem. My newly assembled system is:

Athlon XP 2600+
GA-7N400Pro M/B
2 * 512Mb DDR (333Mhz)
GeForce 4 4200Ti (AGP 4x / 8x)

Hence an FSB of 166 should be correct. My system is only stable at an FSB of 100 - anything higher and I boot OK but get random system resets. I set my system to 100 long enough to get Windows XP Pro on, along with all the Gigabyte Motherboard utilities loaded. I have not solved my stability problems at over 100MHz yet but have made the following observations:

* The CMOS option for Memory Frequency - based upon the Gigabyte Easytune util I would say that for me that changing this option doesn't have any effect on my system configuration. I can set 'Auto' or 'By SPD' and always arrive at a memory speed of 333 (which is correct).

* CMOS option for system performance - I use 'Optimal' too but have also tried a couple of settings under 'Expert' out of curiosity with little success.

* CMOS setting for AGP - whether I set '4x' or 'Auto' in the BIOS I am informed via my nVidia Detonator driver that my card is running at 4x. Neither reduced my crashing...

My system resetting occurs mainly when my PC is required to do some CPU / Graphics intensive work - like running a 3D game or DVD playback. This behaviour is VERY similar to teething troubles I had with my last Gigabyte board (which was VIA based) - which was eventually solved by a M/B driver update. As a result I've hunted round a little for drivers for our motherboard - I have the driver CD version 1.1 and have also tried the nForce 2 driver from nVidia with no extra success either!

Sinergid - have you managed to overcome your problems yet? Anyone else come across drivers / configurations to address this? Any advice would be very appreciated - currenty I am only stable when clocked down to the speed of my old system before upgrading!!!! :upset:

Stuart

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.