Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So currently my gigabyte motherboard has 2-1TB drives in a mirror raid as my secondary drive for data storage and 1 250GB single drive for my OS. In the BIOS I have the setting set to RAID for my hard drives, which I set this after I loaded windows when I first started, but now my 250GB single OS drive needs to be reloaded, but my XP disc will not see the drive since I have it set to RAID. I'm having trouble loading the raid drivers from gigabyte and I thought it would be easier to set the hard drives to AHCI mode and unplug my 2-1TB drives, reload windows on the 250 then plug my 2-TB drives back up then switch the BIOS back to RAID, but I am worried that this will mess up my RAID on my 2-1TB drives?? I would hate to experiment and lose the data on those drives. Will switching modes mess up my RAID???

·
Banned
253 Posts
Pull the drives off the system, do whatever you need to do to get XP installed. When that is working, change the settings to RAID, then reconnect the mirror.

It's best to install XP with nothing else on the system anyways, otherwise you risk having XP decide to install your O/S on drive "D:".

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
"but my XP disc will not see the drive "

Those sata drives? XP doesn't know sata natively since sata came out long after xp's release.

You need to load the sata driver during install for your mainboard.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
"but my XP disc will not see the drive "

Those sata drives? XP doesn't know sata natively since sata came out long after xp's release.

You need to load the sata driver during install for your mainboard.
It will reconize them in IDE mode, no need for sata drivers. I haven't had an issue using the XP Disc in this case.

Pull the drives off the system, do whatever you need to do to get XP installed. When that is working, change the settings to RAID, then reconnect the mirror.
If I take the RAID off in the BIOS will I have to rebuild my RAID again?? I don't want to lose the RAID Config.

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
I believe Jennifer was referring to just removing the power from them so the OS install wouldn't enumerate them.
This is one of the techniques for getting xp to install on c: instead of a different drive letter.

With a new install you will need to web search taking ownership of files. You will get a access denied when trying to access the files on the raid array until you take ownership as admin.

·
Banned
253 Posts
If I take the RAID off in the BIOS will I have to rebuild my RAID again?? I don't want to lose the RAID Config.
I think you are confused between a mirror and a stripe RAID. A stripe depends on the other drive in order to present a single drive to the computer. If you pull one off the Stripe, the other drive is useless. Mirrors are the exact opposite. You can pull one, the other or both and not affect the data.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.