Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im trying to ghost my current hdd to this new 300 gig hdd that i bought, im using Norton Ghost 9 atm. I do a disk to disk copy and it goes through fine with no problems. the problem lies when im going to boot up, it seems to find the boot.ini and it loads up the os but then it just stays stuck at the "Welcome to Windows XP" and doesnt show me the user accounts, i've left it for a good 30 mins thinking it had to do some file checks but nothing ever came up. So i used an older version of ghost to copy the disk over and when it was about to start it got an error saying that the hdd was unlocked or something and it didnt go through. please if you've experienced this or know a way to fix this please post up.

Thanks

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Ver 9

When you ghosted it or copied it over, did you check:

"set drive active (for booting OS)?

Also, did you check "copy MBR"?

Without these, it will not normally boot.

I would recommend that you completely write zero's to the drive you plan to copy to before you use this version of Ghost. You can do that by using the disk manufacturer's downloadable utility or there are some other utilitites that do this.

Old Ver

Be sure to use the Advanced disk copy and just follow directions to copy over. It will ask a couple of things that you need to answer concerning Firewire and USB. Other than that, it is pretty straight forward. This one probably works better than the newer version in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
You could try checking with you drive manufactures site and see what hey have. Seagate has a good one (Diskwizard for windows) and Maxtor doe's also (Maxblast) this one only works with Maxtors. :sad: but if you have a Maxtor it's great. :sayyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah my 300 gig is a maxtor, i think i will try that maxblast thing later. but thanks for the advice, ill try again tommorrow, its kinda late. any more suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks!

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
If you dont take Tumble's advice and Zero fill that drive first / you are going to regret it / never double install or clone an OS without zero filling the drive first / you get all kinds of weird conflicts when we dot that .

good-luck

joe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont know what you mean by "zero fill" i dont know what that is :4-dontkno , can you please explain? and there isnt an option on the maxblast cd to do that :4-thatsba . im assuming its just to set up the drive as active but dont know :sayno: .

thanks again for the responses :laugh:

T

·
0 Posts
was a ghost 2003 cd included with the ver 9 ?
symantec bought out power quest, and ver 9 is just power quests drive image
remove version 9 and install 2003, make the boot diskette and boot your pc from the diskette, this will make an image file of your HD , burning to cd or dvd's, 300gig is it full calculate how many dvd's or cd's on actuall data on HD.
IF YOU HAVE A NEW PC WITHOUT A FLOPPY, look in your bios for signns of a floppy controller that has been turned off. more then likeley you still have a controller on the mainbord.

if you do not have 2003,, buy on ebay or pricegrabber.com...on one of the store fronts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.