Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I also posted this in the Hard Drives thread in case this is a hard drive prob? Anyway, read on ..

I've got an e-machines computer, about 3 years old. It had a bad crash a year ago and I put it aside to "fix" later ("fix" because I don't know how to fix these things). I'm trying to re-install Windows XP with the Restore Disk, and when I get to 99% done, it comes up with an error message related to Ghost that says "Read sector failure, result=1, drive=128, sectors 197 to 199". Did some looking on Symantec and they gave some options on altering the Ghost stuff but I am CLUELESS on how to do this, there was also another thread that this could be a bad hard disk. What do you think?

·
Banned
102 Posts
Sounds like you have bad sectors on your hard drive. Try running Windows Check Disk -- open My Computer/Right click on the disk you want to check/Choose Properties/Tools/then under Error-Checking choose Check Now. Select Attempt to Fix Errors.

You may need to restart your computer to run the check.

Better yet, if you know what brand your hard drive is, go to the manufacturer's site and download their diagnostic tools to check your drive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't even get into Windows - this is after trying to repair a crash so I am at zero starting point right now ..

·
OmegaDawn
781 Posts
You will need to find out who manufactured the hard drive,
go to their web site and download the diagnostic tools
to check the drive.
They run from a floppy disk.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
checkdisk won't work. (I did type it in correctly - chkdsk) .. just says "bad command"

I only have 2 manuals that came with the computer (that's all I got - everything was still in the box) and none of them give manufacturer specs ..

·
Banned
102 Posts
You can open the machine and take a look at the hard drive. It will have the manufacturer's name and model number on it. Post it here and we'll help you find the right diagnostic tools.

Hard drives are so inexpensive now you would probably do better to buy a new one to re-install Windows on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, it's Maxtor, # 2B020H1.
I did pull up Maxtor's website and downloaded something for that specific model. However when I put it in the drive, the computer just tells me "invalid media". I have NOTHING on this computer, just bare-bones DOS right now. I'm thinking this CD was meant to be used to work in Windows yet I don't have that loaded because I can't get it loaded...

·
OmegaDawn
781 Posts
The file you are looking for should be maxtor maxblast.
You will need to make a floppy with the diagnostics on it
and boot from the floppy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.