Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals,

My deapartment has just purchased 40 identicle machine's from our usall supplier and set them up using a ghost image my colleage created... the first time these machines were installed their was no problem and the machine ran just fine.

Then our boss asked my colleage to switch our novell servers over to the 802.3 protocol so we could run with our gigabit ethernet... this changeover went smoothly.

The problems started to happen after this, and are as follows..

upon startup we had an illeagle operattion error message which we fixed by re-ghosting the machines, apart from one machine which now upon boot gives me a blue screen of death and the error message of, invalid VXD call to device 1.....

So any ideas as to what is causing this, even tho the ghost image works on all of its bretheran computers....

Cheers
DoZZa

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
check to see that all the cards are seated, and check the ram with a known working machine.

thats where i would start

~BoB~

·
Registered
336 Posts
could be a bad ethernet card....install one that you know works and see if it fixes the problem.

BSODs are often caused by the video driver too....delete it and reinstall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
These computers are identical, and I would stake my life on that...

I have been so-assured by many people.

They forget differences in BIOS rev, motherboard component rev, etc., disk drive brand, add-on video brand, NIC or modem.

They forget to check for add-on cards, video, tape, scsi, etc.

But mostly, few people seem to know that Windows DOES NOT LIKE TO BE INSTALLED AS A COMPLETE IMAGE. That is, ever notice that when you got a WIN 95 or 98 computer home, it finished installing right in front of you? (This is not as much problem in WIN 2K and XP.)

I live in Oklahoma, which is Thunder/Lightning central: look for damaged memory, MB cache, HD, controllers, etc. Look for mis-matched SIMMs (MEMORY CHIPS). BTW: static electricity can damage old computers, if the air is dry and you wear rubber soles on the carpet...

New (old) computer, giving problems:
Run a WIN setup, remove non-essential cards, make sure SIMMS are identical (and working!), check MB manufacturer for BIOS upgrade, make sure on WIN 98 that its SE

No joy? Replace modem and/or NIC. Try removing add-on video board, try disabling drivers for video/HD/CD/sound/com-and-printer-ports, download drivers for each of these if they prove to be part of the problem

Oh, and quietly shoot anyone caught trying to "compress" any part of their Hard Drive.

Also in this category (needing to be shot), is anyone who patiently explains why the VMEM should change size dynamically. Go to START, SETTINGS, CONTROL PANEL, SYSTEM, PERFORMANCE, VMEM, and set the beginning and end sizes the same. (If you don't, and fill up your drive, and Windows crashes and you lose some of your stuff, you deserved it!)

Set VMEM to:
WIN 95: 64 MB minus your real memory
WIN 98: 256 MB or so
newer, at least 512 MB (over a gig, generally not needed)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi Guys

check to see that all the cards are seated, and check the ram with a known working machine.
Thanx for the input BoB but this was the first thing i tried....

But mostly, few people seem to know that Windows DOES NOT LIKE TO BE INSTALLED AS A COMPLETE IMAGE
Hmm i would have to disagree, the 400 machines i work with daily are all ghosted and they all work nicely ...apart from this one...

but thanks for the input

BSODs are often caused by the video driver too
thanks but i tried this aswell...

looks like ill try replacing the ehternet card, thats the only one i havent tried..

ill keep yall posted.

cheers for the replies
DoZZa

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hiya guys,

turns out that the problem is the second IDE controller is all kindsa screwed.

I disabled that and bingo, it all works YAY

anyway the kiddies dont need CD-rom drives they only abuse them..

PeAcE
Dz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.