Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope it's Ok to post this as it's partly XP and application based.

Some weeks ago I posted a topic about a problem I was having on my PC. http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/machine_check_exception-error-136216.html#post771102

At the time I had XP booting on my 1st SATA-Maxtor 6L160M0. I also had XP on my 4th SATA-Maxtor 6Y160M0. This was a spare drive I had and I'd restored an earlier image of main XP install for emergencies but was using the spare capacity for temporary data storage.

After much time consuming effort trying to resolve the problem mentioned above, I decided to switch and make the 4th SATA my boot drive. As soon as I did that the problem went away so although it was hardware triggered it was in fact my XP that had become corrupt and throwing up a false error.

I've now been running the system from the 4th SATA for two weeks or more and everything is fine.

I decided that as my 1st SATA was now redundant I would do a Ghost copy drive with the intention of switching back to my 1st SATA. I ran the copy drive wizard with the following options:

Check source for system errors
Check destination for file system errors
Set drive active (for booting OS)
Copy MBR

Autoplay came up at the end as it does when restoring an image file.

However Ghost gave following message on completion (not during the copying process)

Description: Cannot complete copying of BACKUP_Windows XP (C:\) drive. Cannot copy source drive to destination location.
Error EA3905FB: Too few clusters.
Details: 0xEA3905FB

If I look in Events there was also an error stating (this was repeated a few times over several dates).

Description: Unable to successfully reconcile changes since last session.
Details: The data necessary to complete this operation is not yet available.

When I looked at the destination drive (1st SATA) it looked OK so I changed the BIOS to boot from that. At first it seemed OK (XP booted) but then I noticed that in Windows Explorer the 4th SATA was still showing as my primary XP. I then ran Sisoft Sandra Lite and it gave the following interesting analysis

Operating System Folders
Windows Folder : D:\WINDOWS
System Folder : D:\WINDOWS\system32
Application Data Path : D:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Desktop
Programs Path : C:\Program Files
Programs Path : D:\WINDOWS\system32;D:\WINDOWS;D:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel
Temporary Folder : D:\WINDOWS\TEMP

I also found I got a Generic Host Process for Win32 encountered a problem error, and a few other quirky things.

I then switched back to the 4th SATA as my boot device and got the following report

Operating System Folders
Windows Folder : C:\WINDOWS
System Folder : C:\WINDOWS\system32
Application Data Path : C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\Desktop
Programs Path : C:\Program Files
Programs Path : C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel
Temporary Folder : C:\WINDOWS\TEMP

No errors and everything as it should be.

I'm assuming that because Ghost flagged an error it hasn't, for want of a better description, finalised the copy process.

I have an image file I can restore to 1st SATA but before doing that I wondered if anyone could offer any clues as to why the drive copy failed for the reason it did as I wonder if I'm likely to get a problem when I try the image restore.

Thanks

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,365 Posts
Hi,
You don't mention the size of your drives, but say you were using the spare capacity on your 4th SATA drive to store data. If your original drive is smaller than this 4th drive it will cause an error as the copying process will try and copy the whole of the drive including blank space. I also use a spare drive for the same purpose, but have it partioned so that the first partition (on which I store my emergency image) matches my c:\ drive. I then use the second partition for data storage etc. That way I have no problems copying between the two. Just a thought.
Regards,
Pilot.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Both drives are 160GB as denoted by the middle characters of the model number.

Neither drive is partitioned as I really only use them for running the OS. The temporary data on the source drive is only files that I might be copying around. There may be some residual files I haven't deleted but I don't see why these should cause any problems.

Using Sisoft Sandra Lite both drives appear to have the same physical characteristics so no obvious reason for the error.

Manufacturer Part # 6Y160M0
Data Storage Formatted Capacity 160 GB
Bytes per Sector 512
Rotational Speed: 7,200 RPM

Manufacturer Part # 6L160M0
Data Storage Formatted Capacity 160 GB
Bytes per Sector 512
Rotational Speed: 7,200 RPM

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, baffling isn't it?

I see you wrote the How To for xxclone so can I take it that it's software you have used personally?

Also, and most importantly, is it SAFE to use i.e my source drive won't get corrupted, provided of course that I follow your guide step by step?

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,365 Posts
Thanks, baffling isn't it?
Yes it is, but I don't know enough about Ghost. Someone else may come up with an answer

I see you wrote the How To for xxclone so can I take it that it's software you have used personally?
I rely on it totally. At present I use the free version but am considering the Pro version as this allows incremental backups. See also http://www.techsupportforum.com/f16/please-help-with-booting-from-external-hard-drive-138382.html

Also, and most importantly, is it SAFE to use i.e my source drive won't get corrupted, provided of course that I follow your guide step by step?
Absolutely, but mistakes can always happen. For that reason I always back up my important files to DVD.

Hope that answers your questions.
Regards,
Pilot

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again

Just have to steel myself to give it a go.

Would it be best for me to disable my broadband connection, my firewall, anti-virus and any other software loaded at start (like an auto wallpaper changer)up before commencing with the copying?

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,365 Posts
Thanks again

Just have to steel myself to give it a go.

Would it be best for me to disable my broadband connection, my firewall, anti-virus and any other software loaded at start (like an auto wallpaper changer)up before commencing with the copying?

If it makes you feel happier until you are confident with the process, but it isn't necessary. I don't and even keep browsing at the same time. All I make sure is that I don't copy anything to the source drive because it is locked during the cloning process. The process doesn't affect your source drive in any. Just make sure you have the correct source and destination drives, that the partition you are cloning to is the first partition and is active and that you make the new drive bootable using the Cool Tools option.

I was going to wish you Good Luck, but you don't need luck if you follow the steps carefully. :grin:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, really useful to know the source drive is locked during the process.

As for partitions, neither the source or destination drives are partitioned as I only use these for the OS, so that isn't something I should need to worry about.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
This is just a quick follow up to say that I have taken the plunge.

I have selected the three option in Cool Tools as per your guide and pressed Start. The progress bar went straight across and Start is grayed out, since then I haven't had any indication that the copying process is actually happening.

My source drive is grayed out and the target volume isn't so that seems OK (I hope).

If I look at my hdd led there doesn't seem to be much action.

Should I get some indication of progress??

Thanks

OOPS Seems I was premature now got the Copying progress window so fingers crossed. Will report back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hi again

Had to leave the cloning to run overnight as it hadn't quite finished (I think it took just under four hours).

Have now booted from both original source and target drives and both work....SUCCESS.

Have checked with SiSoftSandra and Disk management and both show the 1st SATA drive (the one I'm currently working on) as the System and Master with the other as Slave. Incidentally, the reason I prefer to run from 1st SATA is that it's lower down in the drive rack so gets more air flow to help cooling. have found SATA drives run hotter than IDE.

Did have a bit of a concern when after rebooting first time to the original source (just to make sure it would still boot.....heart in mouth) the volume label hadn't changed on the target drive but rebooting again and switching to 1st SATA in BIOS I got the message from xxClone about being the first time of booting and it now seems to have changed that to what it should be. I assume this is normal.

Provided there are no unforseen issues then I am more than happy with xxClone. Seems from reading up on their web page that it uses a totally different method of copying to say Ghost, which in my case seems to have worked OK. Won't be using Ghost again to copy a drive.

Thanks for the link to xxClone and your help.

Although the free version doesn't allow for incremental backups does xxClone keep a log of what it's done and if so where would I find that?

One final thought as I was browsing the site. The article on using xxClone was excellent however, it didn't say anything about the delay between clicking Start and getting the final warning about the copying process starting. I got panicky at that stage as I couldn't seen anything happening. If it's not to big a deal I wonder, as a constructive comment, if it would be possible to add that detail with perhaps an image of the screen.

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,365 Posts
Hi Chris,

Glad everything worked OK.

Although the free version doesn't allow for incremental backups does xxClone keep a log of what it's done and if so where would I find that?
I don't think it does. Only the Pro version does that.

One final thought as I was browsing the site. The article on using xxClone was excellent however, it didn't say anything about the delay between clicking Start and getting the final warning about the copying process starting. I got panicky at that stage as I couldn't seen anything happening. If it's not to big a deal I wonder, as a constructive comment, if it would be possible to add that detail with perhaps an image of the screen.
I must confess, I didn't get that pause. or at least didn't notice. I'll look out for it next time I do a backup.

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi John

Would be interested to learn if the delay I experienced is normal or not, just for future reference or if I recommend xxClone to friends.

Just a thought but is there an equivalent FREE image creation software you could point me to as an alternative to Ghost?

Chris

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,365 Posts
Hi John

Would be interested to learn if the delay I experienced is normal or not, just for future reference or if I recommend xxClone to friends.

Just a thought but is there an equivalent FREE image creation software you could point me to as an alternative to Ghost?

Chris

Hiave a look at my other article about DriveImage. I use both XXClone and DriveImage and find them both reliable.

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,365 Posts
I use Acronis True Image myself...it isn't free but it's an amazing program so well worth checking out :)

I screwed up my system yesterday (my own fault not the system's) and had to reformat my main drive. As my DriveImage image was newer than my last XXClone backup, I used that to restore. It worked perfectly and I can't see any difference in my system now from what it was before I screwed up. As with XXClone, it's free so I'm sticking with those two :smile:

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Fair play John :) That's my only complaint about Acronis but on the whole, it's money well spent as it is a truly comprehensive backup option and it has saved my bacon quite a few times! :)

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,365 Posts
Fair play John :) That's my only complaint about Acronis but on the whole, it's money well spent as it is a truly comprehensive backup option and it has saved my bacon quite a few times! :)
I know what you mean and I am thinking of buying the Pro version of XXClone for the same reason. I don't think there's a lot to pick and choose between the various progs around. It's just that I'm used to these two and I know they work.
Regards,
John.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
John

Sorry to come back but I suspect the following has nothing to do with my cloning the drives but thought I'd ask anyway.

I have just tried to create a restore point prior to install some new software on the target drive i.e the one I'm now using for boot but get the following error:

"System Restore is not able to create a restore point. Please restart the computer, and then run System Restore again."

I have done a reboot and tried again but get same error.

I've looked at the restore points and the last one is a System Checkpoint Thursday 8th February 13:02:16 which is after the date I cloned the drive.

I've checked Admin Tools-Services and it is correctly started and set to automatic.

I've also checked System Properties>System Restore and all the drives are being monitored. Did however notice that the source drive I used for cloning 6Y160MO(4th SATA) is shown as both Monitoring and at the end of the list as Offline so it's in twice.

Not had this before......got any clues???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.