·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a new computer and I need a new Video Card. Here is my PC so far:

CPU - AMD athlon 64 3700+ San Diego
Motherboard - Asus A8N-SLI Premium
PSU - OCZ 520W Powerstream

I am looking at getting a 6800GT, but I was wandering which manufacturer's card would be the best. This one caught my eye. Also wanted to know how much of a performance difference there is between the 6800GT and the 7800GTX and does it justify spending an extra $200. Thanks.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Without knowing your budget it's hard to make a suggestion. As far as brands go I'd go with BFG or eVGA. The 7800GTX has mammoth power over the 6800 cards.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I may get shot saying this, as I see lots of people seem to like the GeForce cards, but I'm a Radeon fan myself. I will be honest and say the Radeon cards can be harder to install and get them to work correctly. Some PCs just don't like them (ie. HP and Compaq are notorious for this at times). Once they are up and running tho, they are great in my opinion. I haven't had any trouble with them. I have a 9800 Pro, and I put a 9600 XT in my wife's computer and had no trouble getting it to work immediately. Granted the GeForce can be more higher end, if you get the more expensive ones, but for like $150 to $200, you can get a really nice Radeon card too, that's all I spend and my games look incredible (and I play high end graphics games, like World of Warcraft, Halo, etc.).

That's just my opinion though. Asus motherboards can go either way, sometimes they will work with a Radeon card easily, other times they may fuss a little. MSI motherboards, although a little cheaper in price, work great and take Radeon cards very easily from my experience. And they last a good while too. I've had mine for 3 years and still works like it did from day 1.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I chose to go with nVidia this round because my chipset is also nVidia and I like working wih like-hardware. It also has support for ShaderModel 3.0 which the current ATi offerings do not. Prior to that card I had a Radeon 9800se as well. It wasn't the most powerful card, but it worked well enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.