1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i just bought a new computer not to long ago, HP M8400f

AMD Phenom 9600 Qaud Core 2.30GHz

3GBs RAM

Nvidia 8500GT 256MB of dedicated. ( will be replacing this one with nVidia by EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GT 512MB)

Now i play games like wow, cod4 C&C3, and oblivion.

In wow i get about 35+ FPS on high settings, cod4 more like 10 - 20, c&c3 about 10 - 30, and obvlion like.. 5-20 on high settings ( on oblivion its mostly at 10.. one of the main reason im upgrading GPU.

Now what im asking, will dropping about 300 bucks ( GPU and PSU) give me a justifiable increase in preformance?

Now heres the things im confused about.

Is this proccesor good enough to utilize this GPU? as in no bottle necking or whatever?

Also is it just as simple as swaping out the 8500gt with nVidia by EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GT 512MB ( superclocked edition) and then installing the drivers?

And if it's not to hard, can anyone give a good guess the frames i would be seeing with these games, after installing the new GPU?

·
Administrator, Team Manager, Gaming, Team Manager,
54,106 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I been checking up on the whole 2.0 thing, i can't seem to find the kind of mobo my computer uses.., do you know? If so does it have a PCI-e x16 2.0?

If it does'nt is there going to be huge problems or something? or any problems at all?

I just want to be able to play the games i listed ( specialy cod4) at high fps. will this 1.0vs2.0 ruin that?

Edit, found the mobo.. easy enough, NVIDIA nForce 430.

·
54,106 Posts
Yea HP only lists it as PCIex16 which usually means it's version 1.1 because everybody always posts 2.0 in bold when they are. The spec. is backwards compatible meaning it should work fine but you won't have all the feature set 2.0 will provide. My opinion is that you won't have a problem running this card, if you want to be sure call or Email EVGA's tech line and ask. http://www.evga.com/SUPPORT/

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'll end up contacting them later.

Now about the psu. The psu i listed, people bought that psu along with the card with no problems, so do i need to spend more on the psu? or can i just stick with the one i listed.

Also i can't order any parts offline.. only can do walk ins

·
54,106 Posts
I would get either of these high quality units Corsair TX-650 watt or Coolermaster Real Power Pro 650 watt there are others see the power supply thread .
If you will be gaming for long periods of time a a lower quality unit will start to lose power as it heats up and usually take out more than just the supply itself when it goes bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.