Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i just built a new rig and after i get everything up and running, i look under my computer and notice that i only have a 128 GB out of a 250 GB Western Digital HD. Help!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi,

What type of HD IDE or SATA

Is the full size recognised in BIOS

If you are running XP you need SP 1 and SP2 to recognise the full size of the hard drive.

You can use Disk Management to create another partition out of the unallocated space

Control Panel
Admin Tools
Computer Management
Storage Disk Management

If you have a Partition Management program such as Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Director, then use this.

Your other alternative is to create s slipstreamed insdtallation disk of XP plus SP1 and SP2. The re-install from this.

There are numerous guides to how to do this available.

If your motherboard is fairly new and you are using SATA hard drives. Then you need to install the SATA drivers during the XP installation by pressing f6 when prompted early in the setup.

Is the hard disk size fully recognised in BIOS.

hth

Ceri

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
There is the 137gig (128) XP barrier that ceri is referring to as well as an fdisk 128gig barrier with fat32 formatting. So the other options you have in addition to ceri’s suggestion are, if it’s the XP barrier, slipstream the XP disk with sp1 or sp2, sp1 is included with sp2. If it’s the fat32 barrier, format the disk NTFS. You can use the drive manufacturer’s utility to set up the drive

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
if the motherboard is a model released within the last year or two, the mobo bios wont be your problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.