Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I FINALLY got back to Windows 98 after my complete disaster with 2000. BUT...now I have NOTHING for settings. Only have like two options for colors, my icons are freakin' gigantic!

Where do I get the things I need for this?

Thanks so much in advance! :)

Carrie!

·
Registered
16 Posts
First of all, you will need to install your correct video driver and restart your computer. Now once you have done that, right click on your desktop and select properties and go to the display tab. There you can choose more color and resolution of your desktop.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does this mean I have to rip the box open to see what type of video card I have???????????????????????

Please tell me no!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you have the manual? Is it an on-board video card?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No manuel and I have no idea about the other :( I just want all my options for colors, etc. This is driving me batty! :*(

·
Registered
16 Posts
You will need the manufactuer of the video card at least. Open up your computer and take a look. See if it's Nvidia or ATI. Hope you don't have an very old computer. BTW, post what kind of computer do you have, m8. :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WELLLL.....I looked under "OTHER DEVICES" and it shows a nice phatty ? mark for PCI Communication Device. Whatever THAT is! under SOUND, VIDEO, and GAME is shows ESS for Control Interface as well as for my sound card. Now..the sound card I have things for. BUT..what is Control Interface???

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looks like you have an onboard video and sound card. ESS usually do sound cards only. I don't think they do video cards. you gotta open up your comp m8 to check your video card. It's easy, just unscrew the 2 back screws and pull it out. Then just take a peak at your video card and try to find the logo. Your computer should come with a CD that has drivers in it. If you don't have one, then you'll have to look it up at ESS website.

Here's ESS Website/The driver section.

http://www.esstech.com/techsupp/drivers.shtm

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey! I tore the thing apart. Now...I see the ethernet card and the card that hooks to where you would plug in the phone/phone line ifyou were using dialup. SO..no PHYSICAL video card like the ethernet card.

The ONLY thing I saw with PCI was "Award PCI PNP586" which, when doing a search, came out to be the freakin' motherboard. I saw something else stuck on teh motherboard. "Winbond" followed by numbers. I saw TWO of these with different numbers on them. Weird. BUT...I did see a cable that is plugged into the mother board..it was small...snapped in the back above the words "MODEM DEVICE" but it wasn't plugged in anywhere else (the other end). what the hell is this? Where does it go? I found NOWHERE it fits. Is it for dialup only?

UGH. I I think I am going to die here!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am going to check that link out. What IS Winbond anyway??

Also....I did a thing on Crucial.com to get info on my PC. C:\Program Files\Belarc\Advisor\System\tmp\(Carriesp).html

It shows Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA). What does THAT tell me?

·
Registered
16 Posts
That means you have the standard VGA drivers installed. Doesn't mean which card you have m8.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yup, just a little. But before you jump to any conclusions, please look at my posts. I helped many ppl here and i think i earned a little shout for my site. :D I'll be helping more in the future in return m8. ;)

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Deadlus said:
Yup, just a little. But before you jump to any conclusions, please look at my posts. I helped many ppl here and i think i earned a little shout for my site. :D I'll be helping more in the future m8. ;)
With 27 posts, you can't have helped that many people here. Telling people to go somewhere else isn't necessarily helping them! How about we agree not to come to your site and suggest people come here, and you do the same? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.