Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I have a sort of old pc.. Its a pentium 3 997Mhz. My videocard is getting ....bad and Im planning to buy a new one. Im on a budget tho. 210 $ (us). :sayyes: so Id like to have your opinion on the best gaming card you could get with that. thx! ( My goal is sorta to run cs source with a nice fps. I can run it now but the fps is too low.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
theres not alot of point in getting a good gprahics card without a new pc, as yours 997mhz is very slow compared to 3 + ghz today. I would save your money and plan on getting/building a new pc.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There's not a video card you can get that will run CS: Source smoothly that will not cost less than $210, unless you get one from eBay.

P.S. I have CS: Source w/Half-Life 2, and Doom 3 and am currently having the same problem finding a card. :laugh: But can safely say you will only be able to get a good one under $210 on eBay, even though it's risky.

·
Registered
227 Posts
^^Bull

The 6600 GT can play CS: Source just fine, and you can get a nice EVga one off newegg.com...let me look..ah here:

Here are the AGP 6600GT from EVGA (good company - I know many people who love EVGA cards)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130220

the thing that worries me, is based on your current setup, you might not have the kinda of power supply needed to run this card, the 6600GT requires an extra 4-pin molex connector from the power supply (the same kind that goes to your hard drive)

the other thing is CS Source will not run well under a P3 933 mhz CPU

·
Registered
79 Posts
Uranium-235 said:
^^Bull

The 6600 GT can play CS: Source just fine, and you can get a nice EVga one off newegg.com...let me look..ah here:

Here are the AGP 6600GT from EVGA (good company - I know many people who love EVGA cards)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130220

the thing that worries me, is based on your current setup, you might not have the kinda of power supply needed to run this card, the 6600GT requires an extra 4-pin molex connector from the power supply (the same kind that goes to your hard drive)

the other thing is CS Source will not run well under a P3 933 mhz CPU
Very true. But Id concentrate on saving your cash for a new comp because your cpu will probably bottleneck you new video card. If you plan on your next pc being agp based then get the video card now and switch it to your new pc once you get it. But I highly suggest you wait and buy an new pci-e based machine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.