Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

Well the other day my motherboard failed on me.

Anyway i ordered a new one but my question is this motherboard supports DDR2 RAM, but at the moment i only have normal DDR400 ram. Will this new motherboard take the DDR400 or am i going to have to spend more money and buy some DDR2 ram?

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...9kdWN0X3NwZWNpZmljYXRpb25z&product_uid=112086

That says Supported RAM Tech: DDR II SDRAM.

But to be honest i had a feeling that it should take older ram, is this correct or not?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it was my fault, i was installing 2 new hard drives and i think i may have caused static damage, when i booted up it does the normal POST sound but then does 2 Beeps and asks me to press F1 or F2 to recover default bios settings, then it will just reboot.

This is proving to be very costly. Already spent £220 on Hard Drives and Mobo this month i really didn't want to buy new ram as well.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
did you try clearing the bios on your old board ??????

dont buy more ram, get another mobo that matches the specs of what you have, chances are if the model you just selected needs DDR2 memory, chances are you existing CPU will not work on it either!

you simply have the wrong generation motherboard selected.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know my processer is going to work in it, The motherboard is arriving tomorrow and it didn't hit me until tonight to think about the RAM, i'll just have to go pick up a 1gb ddr2 stick of ram from PC World or something.

I tried clearing the Bios about 7 or 8 times and it did nothing for it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well upon removing my CPU Fan from my motherboard i found that my CPU was actually stuck the bottom of the heatsink on the fan.

I was lucky as i haven't damaged any of the pins when the stupid fan forced the cpu out of the socket.

My problem is now i cannot seperate the 2, and it's going to be damn hard to slot them into the new mobo stuck together.

Anyone ever had this? How did you get around it?

·
TSF Enthusiast
914 Posts
It should be stuck on with some simple thermal paste, it should just slide off? This is if you are talking about the fan sticking to the CPU.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was stuck on with normal thermal paste when i first put it into the old board, but it seems to be firmly stuck to the CPU Fan.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well i have managed to get the CPU off the fan, up on closer inspection i noticed that 3 of the pins had been bent a little. I manage to bend them back enough do it slots into the Processer slot on my old mobo.

However i am in doubt that this will work after being bent, would i be correct in thinking this?

And if i was to try it in my new mobo would it cause any damage to it?

·
TSF Enthusiast
914 Posts
Linderman has it, try a hairdryer or something similar for a good while pointed at the metal plate, then try sliding it off - if this still doesn't work, there's very few options left without potentially damaging either of the parts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i have had some success with my old motherboard, However i am still getting the same problem as i started with orginally and that is lagging when im in the Bios setup mode.

The clock doesn't move, but every 10 seconds it will update by whatever time it was stopped at, when i press an arrow key to go to another window it can take quite a while. But after Advanced i can't get any further..

Does this sound like the motherboard is damaged?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I thought about flashing my bios, but other times when i have done this something has always gone wrong.

Im really not big on flashing my bios.

I am now back into Windows but unable to get my raid setup due to the bios problem.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I have never seen anyone mess up a DOS based flash unless you use the wrong version, ( a version not meant for your motherboard, which is hard to do now days given the way motherboard makers have such great support that's motherboard model specific)

if you get the DOS utility to fire up its very easy, I dont like and wont use the windows version nor the EZ-bios I have seen them plundered plenty; done so myself on several occasions.

dont hesitate to ask more questions

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.