Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some difficulty trying to replace my hard drive for my Sony Vaio TZ series. My hard drive was MK1011GAH and the one I purchased was MK1234GAL.

I purchased a replacement from Ebay and I made sure it was a same type of hard drive. I booted it up after I successfully installed my hard drive. However, I got an error message saying Error 200 : failure fixed disk. I did some research and the common answer were the hard drive was either bad or dying. I sent a message to the seller but all he said was the disk wasn't compatible with my Vaio even though there was a list saying my "old" MK1011GAH would be compatible with the one that I purchased.

Long story short, it is possible to get this error if my pc and hard drive is incompatible? At least CMOS detects the hard drive so I am assuming is not about cable being loose. (I already checked many times)

thank you in advance

·
Banned
918 Posts
I would put the possibility that the Seller sold you a defective HD high on the list of explanations for your current situation. Was the HD sold as "new"? Was there a warranty? Post link to Seller's page so we can read the fine-print. Did you pay with PayPal (please say yes)?

In general terms, HD's come in two sizes, big ones (3.5 inch) and little ones (2.5 inch), and in two types, SATA and IDE (also known as "PATA"). HD's are not manufacturer/model specific like other hardware might be. They are more universal in nature and for the most part a 2.5" SATA will work in any computer that needs a 2.5" SATA. In your case, your hard drive was a 2.5" PATA, and you probably could have replaced it with any 2.5" PATA. Note there are some exceptions to this (1.7" HD's, SCSI HD's, etc...) but they are the exception to the rule. You should check the manufacturer's specs on the support page for the specific model to see if there are any capacity limitations, etc.. (some older computers cannot recognize hard drives larger than "X" Gbytes), but at 100 Gbyte you are at the low-end of the pond and it's unlikely that a computer that can read a 100 Gbyte HD (the old one) cannot read a 120 Gbyte (the "new" eBay one you replaced it with).

Frankly, you should have purchased a new HD and gotten the increased likelihood that it was good when it arrived, as well as both the Vendor and Manufacturer's warranty. You also probably paid too much.

The reason why I suspect your eBay Vendor is either dishonest or ignorant is because, to my knowledge, a laptop should not have compatibility restrictions as he is stating explicitly that exist. (But did he back it up, with a link to the manufacturer showing why & how the HD you purchased was incompatible?) Given that, why did he say it, if for no other reason that to get you to go away?

The ONLY reservation I have with my own opinions above, are that your HD is described as being 4600 rpm (how fast the disks spin). 5400 rpm is standard for 2.5" HD's, and so I wonder if for some strange reason your particular laptop needs this odd speed, but then your replacement is also a 4600 rpm, so if that's the case, then it should work, right? If the rpm question does not create compatibility issues (and I doubt it will), then there are at least 3 reasons why that replacement hard drive was "not optimal". 4600 rpm is slower than 5400, hence performance will be lower, Toshiba is a really crappy hard drive manufacturer, size increase was negligible and (I assume) it was used. I guess that's 4 reasons, lol.

So, most important, post exact model# of the laptop.

Second, the primary question to answer when evaluating whther a hard drive is good or bad is whether or not it is "recognized" in BIOS, meaning that, with the HD physically installed in the computer, and you enter the BIOS options, do you see the hard drive listed as being installed in BIOS? It ought to say something like "Toshiba" and "120 Gbyte" and maybe even "PATA". If you only see a CD/DVD drive and no mention of a hard drive at all, chances are likely that it's bad, meaning it was probably bad when the Vendor shipped it.

Which then goes to the Vendor's integrity and btw what's his rating and total number of transactions? Another question I would have is if the Vendor deliberately marketed the HD as being "for a Sony Vaio TZ..." because while that is technically true, it is also scammy and dishonest as it validates uninformed, prospective buyers that somehow this specific HD (his, the Vendor's) is "THE" HD for your specific computer.

In my world view, it is dishonest to use a customer's ignorance in order to persuade them to by your product over someone else's. It indicates character, and with a probably dead HD being sold to you and arriving DOA, the Vendor's character is of primary importance.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Hello, Welcome to TSF.

Getting a Error 200 : failure fixed disk = Dead HD usually or could be a bad cable.

Escalate your claim in ebay, you will get your money back as long as your not over time allowed for refund.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.