Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of adding a secondary internal hard drive which is mostly for storing data files so the primary hard drive will be mostly system files..can you use two hard drives or just transfer all the files into the new hard drive..my old hard drive was only 38 GBs

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

your computer could use as many as four IDE drives / so yes you can add another drive / install programs or what ever else you want / file storage anything your other drive can do/ except it wont have windows boot files on it / but for the purpose you want it for thats is a great option !!

PS i urge you to buy either a western digital or seagate drive (5-year warranty) anything but Maxtor >>>>> yuck

check newegg.com or ebay for prices

enjoy

joe

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got a new Hard Drive

Thanks for the reply, been a month and now I got a used but nicely formatted 80GB HD, I wanted to transfer most files from my old hard drive so the old hard drive will be mostly system files so Itll run faster....what should I do?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
well one of the things you could do to free up space on your old drive and convert files to your new drive is an easy one

first make a folder in your new drive called "Programs"

install any programs you currently have on your old drive / install them again but to the new drive / make sure to install them to into the programs folder (this is done with-in the programs set-up destination menu >>> just change the default "C" drive letter to "D" drive)

then if you want your program to run and feel exactly the same as the original version with your contents, settings, email etc and all is an easy feat.
click on my computer / then select the original boot drive usually "c" drive
then go to the programs folder / resize the window by minimizing and resizing the window until its only one half of your monitor screen

then click on my computer and choose the other drive / probally called "D" drive ???? then open the programs folder you made in there / right mouse click over the AOL program folder(for example) in the C drive and drag it over to the AOL program folder in the D drive / then release the mouse button >>> the message will say something like there is already matching data in that folder; do you want to over write the existing files >>> answer YES

afterwards when you open the AOL program (the version located in D drive) it will have all the same contents as the old version located in the C drive

give it a test drive on a program that youre not in love with or test it on one you know how to easily fix if things dont go smooth

once you get the D drive version to work / you can use the "add remove programs" console in the C drive to remove the original version thus removing the entry from the registry as well as freeing up space in your boot drive

regards

joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.