Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm a PC support technician whose client continues to receive these Generic Host Process errors within an hour of using IE. This originally started after he hired Symantec support for a remote support session and had them clean up a virus. I was brought in after this was all done so I'm not sure what virus he had (nothing in the log files).

I've gotten him set up on Firefox now which does not generate these errors, so he's functioning for now, but he would still like to be able to use IE when needed so I'm hoping to find out how to help him.

Here's what I've done so far:

Upgraded Win XP Home to SP2 (it had no SPs installed)
Upgraded IE from 6 to 7
Used the "Restore Defaults" in Security settings of IE.
Ran Spybot S&D which found IE settings changes, allowed them to be restored through Spybot.
Ran Ad-Aware, no pests found.
Ran HJT, no suspicious entries listed.
Performed a full virus scan in Safe Mode with System Restore disabled. No virus found. (remember, this was AFTER Symantec cleaned his system)

Client is on dialup Internet access, but this will soon change to DSL.

Here is the syntax of the error he receives when he uses IE:
=====================
Generic Host Process for Win32 Services

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience …

Error signature:
szAppName: szAppVer: 0.0.0.0 sModName: unknown
szModVer: 0.0.0.0 offset: 00000000

Technical information about the error report:

Error Report Contents
The following files will be included in this error report:

c:\documents and settings\jerry rosen\local settings\temp\wer4A.tmp.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
c:\document\jerryrosen\locals\temp\wer4A.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt
==========================

I'm puzzled by the fact that Firefox works flawlessly, which would suggest to me that his Winsock is OK...there are no further signs of any infection or parasite...yet this is still occurring after updating to SP2 and IE7, which I would have thought would overwrite any corrupted files. Is there anything else to try, short of reinstalling the OS?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome, Geekgirl. I haven't updated to SP3 on his computer yet because I've been slow to roll it out to all my clients after I experienced some nasty errors in compatibility. I'm sure they're probably all resolved by now (most of them were AOL-related - most of my clients who use it are still on 9.1 as they HATE 10.0) but it will be something I'll handle on my next visit with most of them. This particular client has already paid me for several hours of my time to do the other updates so he's not really enthusiastic about paying for me to upgrade when SP2 didn't fix the issue. I'm hoping to not have to spend a whole lot of time on this issue with him that I can't, in good conscience, bill for, since the issue hasn't been resolved yet.

Are you suggesting that SP3 *specifically* addresses this GHP issue, or is it more of a well-rounded suggestion for the overall stability of his OS?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
It was a well-rounded suggestion for overall stability to install SP3, but as good IT Technician you are to be advising these clients and assisting in the security and performance of their systems and to keep them up-to-date in this ever so fast moving technical world we live in.

You may be looking at the following :
1. Try running IE7 with no add-ons and/or Safe Mode to see the results
2. Reinstall IE7
3. Running SFC
4. Repair install
5. (Last resort) Format and reinstall

Also, see if this applies
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=A87B44B9-7A6A-49B6-BD89-AFAD4E049C48&displaylang=en

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.