Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made this thread so I could see what sort of upgrade to get soon also to let other people ask someone what they should upgrade on their PC.

Firstly my pc,

3000+ Athlon 64
1024mb RAM~400Mhz
128mb PNY Tech Geforce 6 6600GT
120Gb Hard Drive

Ok i built this pc about a year ago, the upgrades i have made so far is to go from Radeon 9600 to 6600GT and to upgrade from 512RAM to 1024 and im wondering, what's next?

I am thinking of going for something SLI based (no point in PCI-E as it doesnt make an enourmous difference YET). But if i go for SLI that will mean a new motherboard but if i do get a new motherboard then i will go for a S939 (i have 754 at the moment, bad choice maybe?) which obviously means a new processor, i really want to know if using two 6600GT's is a good idea for an SLI or whether i should go for a more advanced GPU e.g. Geforce 7 series. Basically i want some tips on what to do next.

Anyone who wants similar help please post in this thread, i would like to hear about other people's successful/unsuccessful upgrades also.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
SLI is restricted now to PCI-Express cards and motherboards and won't work using any other method that I'm aware of. I believe there are a few Socket 754 SLI boards out there, but not many. Going with a single 7800GT or GTX will give you about the same performance as an SLI setup 6600 pair.

My recent upgrades include a new mesh case, a 6800, and going from 512MB of PC2100 to 1GB of PC3200. Back in January I bought a SATA 150 drive with a 160GB capacity. Stupid formatting rules and stuff limit me to 149GB but that's ok. Shortly after I bought my current motherboard and CPU. w00t for great speed! For the most part the upgrades went well. A BIOS upgrade fixed an issue with my A64 and double-sided PC3200 sticks which was fantastic. The mesh case keeps my temps much lower because air can move so freely through the system. Someday I'd like to actually get a DVDR-RW drive...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good point with the '7800 will give same performance as 6600 SLI' but what i meant with the 754/939 motherboard was that i dont wanna spend loads of money on a new mother that isnt 939 because eventually i will want to upgrade to a 4000+ or sumthin. Also are you sure that you cant get an SLI setup for two AGP cards?

About ur pc, tell me the exact spec and your performances on certain games, if you look at my signature you will see my excellent performance on half life 2 :)

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
I don't play HL2 but in Halo I get 100+ in most cases. Some of my other games are frame locked at 60 so I can't always tell. In 3DMark03 I got a crappy 8300 something. It's used mainly as a server so I haven't done much to tweak it for gaming performance.

The difference between a Socket 754 and 939 board is VERY obvious. Most notably there's no hole in the socket. The 939 chips use every bit of the socket. And AGP SLI isn't possible because motherboards only have 1 AGP slot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.