Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made this thread so I could see what sort of upgrade to get soon also to let other people ask someone what they should upgrade on their PC.

Firstly my pc,

3000+ Athlon 64
1024mb RAM~400Mhz
128mb PNY Tech Geforce 6 6600GT
120Gb Hard Drive

Ok i built this pc about a year ago, the upgrades i have made so far is to go from Radeon 9600 to 6600GT and to upgrade from 512RAM to 1024 and im wondering, what's next?

I am thinking of going for something SLI based (no point in PCI-E as it doesnt make an enourmous difference YET). But if i go for SLI that will mean a new motherboard but if i do get a new motherboard then i will go for a S939 (i have 754 at the moment, bad choice maybe?) which obviously means a new processor, i really want to know if using two 6600GT's is a good idea for an SLI or whether i should go for a more advanced GPU e.g. Geforce 7 series. Basically i want some tips on what to do next.

Anyone who wants similar help please post in this thread, i would like to hear about other people's successful/unsuccessful upgrades also.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Moving it up, i thought all posts start at the top, this one started half way down the page so i moved it up lol

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone post something in here please

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
The reason you're not getting any responses is because this is the offline section...people here aren't looking to answer questions, they are more looking for fun stuff (see other threads in the section for an idea of what I'm talking about).

As for SLI, I've heard it's still pretty buggy. I'd hold off on it if I were you unless you really know what you're doing.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers for the response, so which board do you think i shud post it in?

·
Registered
209 Posts
for that computer ide recommend... either saving your money, or getting a board with pcie support and a 7800. as for sli, its hard to get the same video card unless u buy them at the exact same time, so unless u still have the newegg page or something, you probly dont wanna go with sli.

you can test your games to see if u ever overload the 1gb of memory, and to get improoved performance youll want to make sure its in dual channel mode.

another option would be an sata raid settup, if u dont have raid plugs on your board you can buy a pci card, raid 0/1 with 2 sata 150s will give a boost from the ata 100 drives...

your at a point where you wont see a Huge difference, yet you will spend a forture for it, so ide reommend just sitting on the money, your system is good enough.

i myself am not wealthy, i got 500$ waiting for somethin like direct x 9.1 so i can get parts that will last.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
There still aren't 64 bit games though...are there? And maybe he's waiting for the new X2 processors (dual core). Just an idea, I'm sort of falling behind in the hardware area...I guess I need to bone up some.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i think saving up ur money is a good idea..save so u can buy a decent, mid-high end rig...
prolly go with an AMD x2 with a 7800 or so...
also, SLI with 2 6600Gts is a bad idea...cause 1 6800Gt or ultra can perform better than the 2 6600gts in SLI
but when u decide to buy..get a decent PCI-e motherboard (not sure which is good) and get a 6800GT at least, nothing lower...but dont get the 6800Ultra cause its only a few dolllars less than a 7800GT which performs a lot better

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
As of this writing there are no 64-bit games available as 64-bit OS's aren't major players yet. Most 64-bit programs are desktop applications and revamped versions of what's already available.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.