Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Virgin Media 30mbps cable broadband.

No antivirus software, windows firewall.

(requested docs attached).

I've had patchy internet performance for a while now and its getting to be annoying. I'd just like to know the root cause so I can address it. Please ask if you need any more info or stats, Im not sure where to look/what to provide (other than what you ask on the 'post this info' thread) you see.

Any help is appreciated,

Thank you,
Ant.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 90-E6-BA-C6-62-25
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Edimax 802.11n Wireless PCI Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-1F-90-1E-FB
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d0b1:3e58:dd50:4ba3%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 11 January 2012 12:57:06
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 11 January 2012 14:27:13
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 184557343
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-15-F7-30-A0-90-E6-BA-C6-62-25
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.168.4.100
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fb:20c4:bb0:b29e:a753(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::20c4:bb0:b29e:a753%13(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{3D426C47-1F9B-4C5F-95C2-B346B4F34595}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Attachments

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts
Your connection looks fine . . if you have no antivirus program, you are very likely infected . . and that will cause the internet to be undependable.

Suggest you install a good antivirus ( MSE is good ) and run a scan

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I havent used an antivirus for years now, I tend to wipe my computer every year or so and manage it very cloesly. Its not a viral issue. Its either the router/service or the wireless adaptor (I think).

By patchy internet performance I mean; on occasions it'll download and stream completely fine (some good/expected for the package speeds), others it will go cripplingly slow - wont even load google, or will load it but will take around 1 min then the subsequent pages you select potentially even longer.

When it is slowing it seems to have full signal (on the windows network adaptors bar meter), which puzzles me. Also it seems to lose the SSID and change to 'Other network' - when its going slow/disconnecting that is.

I'd like to cancel out the lagging and disconnections, if it takes off some of the speed I wouldnt even mind. I just want to it be stable rather than fluctuating wildly between a fast internet connection (what I pay for) and a very slow one.

*** I'd like to note aswell, those Ipconfig and Xirrus were taken when the internet performance is fine. I'll post some when it slows down for comparison.

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,213 Posts
Not using any antivirus is like running naked through a cactus farm..it ain't gonna be pretty. Try connecting your computer to the router with an ethernet cable as a test or connect directly to your modem. That will help you figure out if it's a wireless, router or Windows issue.

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
Couldn't have put it better myself Fred.

Without these utilties to warn you, you will have no idea you have been hit. Your practice is based on not knowing the risks.

Virus's and malware are not about messing up your computer. Those were the old days before international crime syndicates got into the cyber crime business.

It is all about stealing. Wheither its your identity, your bank info or your contact info, its all about stealing money.

Virus's, malware, and port trojans are about delivering MIRV hacker tools to your pc.

These can be delivered by a pixel on a web page screen or more commonly by a ad link.

Protect yourself accordingly.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I can only assume someone has seen this thread and targeted me, because after reading it ive got some annoying ******* pop-up thing called dxj.exe (in the processes). That pops up with all windows-style boxes every so often.

It keeps closing my internet aswell, how do I get rid of it?

Any other alternatives to MSE aswell? I had it and didnt like it. (free alts preferably!)

·
4,213 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got one called ad-aware, seemed to do the trick for now. I'll inspect more thoroughly in the morning. Seems like a massive coincidence that I say I dont use any antivirus stuff then turn on tonight to find a dodgy thing being a pain in the ****.

Its sorted now anyway.

Back to the original problem. The router is on the other side of the room so I'd need to buy a large cable to link it directly to the computer. Is there any particular bit of info I should look out for as to wether its a wireless adaptor problem or router based?

·
4,213 Posts
I know what you mean, but purely coincidental. Even I wouldn't go that far to prove a point :laugh:. Poor wireless internet connections are usually signal/interference related. The info you provided above shows you had a connection, but it doesn't measure the quality of it. The Xirus report shows you have a decent signal, but doesn't always account for interference with a snapshot - think of a radio station going in and out.

First step I would try is to find the latest driver for your network card. Try temporarily unplugging any cordless phones or gaming consoles. It looks like you have a dual band router. you could try changing the network using channel 8 to another channel. 3 to 5 channel separation from neighboring networks is a good guide.

Also, checking that your router has the latest firmware is also a good idea. Mfgr's regularly release updates to correct known problems.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Been trying to get on the internet since 3pm today. I took a xirrus screen of when it was offline and when it first connected minutes ago (I was just in the middle of ringing virgin actually, another handy coincidence!).

What do you make of these? (attached)

During its off period I tried to connected with the laptop, which has a different network adaptor, and was more or less on top of the router. That didnt work either. It was also doing the thing where it doesnt display the SSID, just 'Other network'.

I'll sort out the firmware and whatnot now its connected, see if that helps things. Also the Adaware thing I downloaded never sorted the virus out but I downloaded and ran the Avast scan and that did the trick - so, thanks.

Attachments

·
4,213 Posts
Ant there are a few different wireless networks showing up, I assume yours is "Netgear Cubed"? It looks like you have a good signal. I would download the manual for your model router from Netgear and go to the wireless setup section. The manual will have a better explanation of different wireless modes. The dual band routers have different channel combinations they use depending on the type of speed you select - like 300 mbps for N or 150 for g/n mixed - something like that. I'm not positive off hand.

I would try different speed settings in the wireless router setup page based on your network card (a b/g/n/ card?). Set the SSID to broadcast if it's not already. Access the router setup page at 192.168.0.1 in a web browser. If you make any mistakes, you can always reset the router to it's factory defaults and start over.

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
Does seem strange that the vendor is listed as unknown when it should say netgear.

Your router may need a firmware update

·
4,213 Posts
Also, just thought of this. If the Edimax wireless card installed software to manage your wireless connections, uninstall or disable it. Use the built in Windows software to connect to your network.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers for your help/advice people. I've been having problems with the PC since that virus hit, its gone but its going a bit sluggish at times and freezing for no reason so i'm going to fresh install windows.

After I've done that I can implement some of the changes you've suggested.

·
4,213 Posts
You're welcome Ant. Before you reinstall Windows it's a good idea to download your current drivers (or at least the network card drivers), so you don't run into a problem getting back online.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right, sorted all my program installations and whanot so I can finally get round to fixing this internet.

I've discovered that the signal is both stronger and more stable when you put the channel selection on 'auto'. I altered it after reading some advice that said pick the manual channel which is different to the neighbours and whatnot. But this router seems to hate being told what to do. After trying a few different channels the result is always the same its sluggish performance wise and tends to cut out.

Are there any cons of having it on 'auto' setting?

As someone suggested also, Im using the Windows connection utility (and have been all along).

I've got the latest drivers for my wireless card that are available. As for the router firmware I cant seem to find that, however in my search for it I stumbled accross alot of unhappy virgin customers, some of them have had new 'super' hubs sent to them which I assume have the latest firmware and whanot in em, so I might get on the phone to virgin tomorrow and request one.

I think my dad's laptop wireless usb thing is an N, and the other 2 pc's in the house are also N. So there shouldnt be a problem with being on 300mbps should there?

I've checked and the SSID is being broadcast.

I've done some of the test on Xirrus and got an more up to date overview shot, see if you see anything telling in these (as I wouldnt be able to tell if theyre good or bad really).

(the internet was goin ok at the time of doing these btw)

Attachments

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,255 Posts
You have two routers, both named Netgear in range and on the same channel. In the router settings, change the ssid to a name that will make it obvious it is yours and change the chanel to something other than 6 & 10

You really need to install an antivirus . . MSE is a good one and is free. Sluggsh performance is one symptom of an infection

·
4,213 Posts
It looks like you're using a dual band router. As Rich said, change the name of one of the network names, like Netgear 1 & Netgear 2. Everything else looks good. I would read up in the manual on your wireless options for best compatibility and speed and see what works best.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.