Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my new Chaintech 256 MB FX 5500. After uninstalling the old graphics card and its drivers it physically fit into the slot the old graphics card was in just fine. I booted to XP, and obviously it ran in VGA mode... Plug and Play detected the card, and properly identified it as a GeForce FX 5500, so there is no problem there. However, when I install the drivers and restart XP, after displaying the usual windows loading screen, the screen goes blank. The rest of the system is fully functional (I can hear the startup sounds playing, can restart using ctrl-alt-del, etc.). So I would guess that my problem is related to some kind of driver problem. My system should be able to run this card just fine, it is a Dell Dimension 4500 and has AGP 4x support (demonstrated by XP identifying the card)... I have tried three completely separate sets of drivers (the ones that came with the CD, the ones on the chaintech (manufacturer) website, and the newest version on the nvidia website), uninstalling the previous driver in safe mode each time. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
wow... so i left out a small part of the description... the problem :laugh: (although it was in the subject)

after i install the drivers and then restart (for changes to take effect), the windows loading screen comes up, but after that (when the graphics card would essentially start doing its thing) the screen goes blank

·
Registered
227 Posts
Doing it's thing? you mean like playing games?

Sometimes Dell puts cheap stuff in thier boards, and sometimes, it dosen't like non-dell hardware

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have same problem...i loaded the 169.71 that i originally got with the video card, and everything works. But when i try and play World of Warcraft, or Counter-strike:source it won't work. I have gotten it to work in the past...but i don't remember exactly what i did last time....hmmmmmmmmmm very aggrevating...can't wait to get the money to buy a PCIe card, and upgrade with the new Mobo i have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.