Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright the problem is kinda confusing.

My buddies computer was working perfectly fine one night and then the next morning when he turned it on the monitor registered 'no signal' from the tower.

I've personally taken a look at it and taken out the video card put it back in, made sure all the cords and wires are secure, etc. Still nothing. He has called his monitor's (Acer) tech support number and what they suggested did nothing.

Basically we've narrowed it down to three possibilities:

1) The Video Card is fried (unlikely cause it wasn't touched until after it stopped working).

2) The MoBo is fried (unlikely for the same reason).

3) The cable from the Power Supply to the Card is fried (the most likely of them).

It is an nVidia GeForce 6600 256MB PCI-X VGI/DVI/TV-out Card connected too a Acer AL1714cb 17" LCD monitor. It has worked since he had it custom built in June and just stopped working this past Friday.

I'm at a loss for answers, and my guesses are possibly if not likely way off, anyone here have any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Does it make any sounds (beeps, etc.) when you turn the machine on? What internal fans are running (power supply, CPU fan, video card fan) when you switch the machine on. If there are any beeps then what is the pattern? Do you have an old PCI video card you can try instead of the 6600?

·
Registered
73 Posts
As much as anyone here can suggest things you my friend are going to have to do some testing to further this.

If you suspect a faulty part, the only way to find out is replace it with a different one and try again...in this case your graphics card seems the most likely place to begin. As macro said, try a PCI one if you can (luckily for me i kept one from years back for such purposes) to test the monitor, if that works try an AGP one to test the AGP port. It's just a process of elimination.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.