Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I've got this huge problem with my G4 I'm just unable to fix - and I can't find any help on that either.

Problem 1: As long as I have any Hardware acceleration turned on the screen will freeze whenever I scroll or move a window. The screen then refuses to change fpor some seconds and displays strange artifacts - I can still operate as normal, though.
Then, after 5 to 10 seconds have passed the screen will refresh and everything will be normal again.
This problem disappears if I completely turn off the hardware acceleration - but that's not a state I want to live in :/

I've already installed various detonator versions (and uninstalled the old ones), reinstalled Windows twice, tried different settings for screen resolutions/color depth, updated my BIOS, installed different versions of DirectX and gave my graphics card its own IRQ.
Nothing helped :(

Additionally I'm not sure what caused this problem in the first place - it just turned up without me changing anything in the system configuration.

Problem #2 is related to the first one - I can't play any games that use Direct3D 8 anymore - they will just display some rudiment starting screen which is frozen and can't be acted on.
The direct3D est of dxdiag shows that cube, but it doesn't move at all.

This Problem couldn't be fixed with the above options as well.

Sadly I don't have a second computer/graphics card available to try whether it's a problem of the hardware or not.

I really don't know what to do anymore - do you guys know anything I could do to make my graphics card work the way it's supposed to again?

thx alot for your help

System specifications:

AthlonXP 2,0+
Geforce4 Ti4200 64 MB
ECS K7S5A Mainboard
512 MB RAM
WinXP Home
Detonator 45.23

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dude! I had almost the same problem. well not the overclocking but the games part. IT took me forever to figure it out! It is simple what you are doing. I am running a gForce T1 4600 128 card. Your fan isnt cooling down the gpu enough, or it isnt working properly.

I got the exact same problems when running my games. I would turn of my comp for a few hours try it and it worked for a while. THen I realized, hey my card is freegin hot as hell. I got a new better Fan and heat sink and it works like a charm! Try it out.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I haven't tried this product yet, but this innovative fan installs into the PCI slot #1 to provide supplemental cooling to the AGP card:
Cyclone Blower

·
Registered
18 Posts
Additional cooling is always an option. One way to potentially test if the card is overheating is to run your computer with the case open (in a relatively clean environment of course) and direct some ventilation or air conditioning on it. Then see if your problem persists as frequently or not.

Adding ventilation to the case is never a bad idea, todays CPUs and GPUs run very, very hot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.